DeHeart, Illinois make history again

By Amber Greviskes

For just the second time in Illinois history, a member of the men’s tennis team has climbed to the top of the national rankings.

Illinois junior Ryler DeHeart was the No. 1 player in the nation when the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) released the national rankings Tuesday.

“It’s a great accomplishment,” said Illinois head coach Craig Tiley. “It is not often that you get a player or a program ranked No. 1.”

DeHeart, who became Illinois’ first ITA National Indoor singles champion in November, is only the second Illini to be ranked No. 1. DeHeart was also only the second unseeded player in the nation to win the ITA National Indoor singles title. Former Illini and current touring professional Brian Wilson was the first Illinois tennis player to hold the No. 1 position in the nation last spring.

But DeHeart is not the only Illini who caught the attention of the ITA when the governing body of college tennis determined the nation’s best athletes.

Sophomore GD Jones, who beat defending NCAA singles champion Benjamin Becker on Saturday 6-4, 7-6 (4), was also in the nation’s top 20. Jones grabbed the No. 14 spot yesterday after what Tiley called a “big win.”

“It’s pretty cool to be ranked so high,” Jones said. “But I’m even more proud for Ryler to be ranked No. 1 – and I’m a whole lot more proud to be his teammate.”

Jones, who has also picked up crucial wins against Florida senior Hamid Mirzadeh who has earned All-American honors each year he has competed for the Gators, was followed closely by Illini freshmen Kevin Anderson.

Anderson, a former Big Ten Player of the Week, is No. 15 in singles. Anderson had previously been unranked after joining the team in January.

“We all knew before he came (to Illinois) what he was capable of doing,” Jones said. “It might be a little bit surprising that he was ranked so high so early in the season, but it is completely deserved. It’s hard to adjust to playing college tennis so far away from home.”

Illinois freshman Monte Tucker rounded out the ranked members of the team as the nation’s No. 78 tennis player.

Tiley said he expected the team will have more athletes ranked among the nation’s best as the season progresses. The team’s No. 3 ranking could rise as well.

Illinois junior Pramod Dabir has seen limited action since he sprained his ankle Jan. 28 against Florida State. Senior Chris Martin has yet to play a match since the dual-match season started because of stress fractures. He was predicted to be one of the Illini’s main contributor’s during the preseason.

“They will see some playing time and be able to contribute when they return,” Tiley said.

The men’s injuries have not only affected the team’s singles lineup, but also the team’s doubles lineup.

Tiley has not yet determined the doubles lineup for the year.

“No one is under any illusions right now,” Jones said. “Our doubles sucks. Right now, we don’t have any teams that deserve to be ranked.”