Illini to face Irish

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Amber Greviskes

As Illinois has maintained its prestigious position among the nation’s finest men’s tennis teams, Notre Dame has been quietly climbing the rankings.

The two teams will face off this afternoon at the Eck Tennis Pavilion in South Bend, Ind., for what has become a heated rivalry – especially as of late.

Notre Dame, now ranked No. 16, holds a 20-16 advantage over the Illini in the teams’ all-time series. Notre Dame has won 11 of the 20 matches against the Illini in Notre Dame head coach Bobby Bayliss’ 18-year tenure with the program.

Illinois head coach Craig Tiley credits Bayliss with revitalizing Notre Dame’s tennis program. He has also been a leader in college tennis, volunteering with several national committees.

“He’s been great,” Tiley said. “I’ve always had a great deal of respect for him.”

Bayliss’ Notre Dame was also the last team to defeat the Illini at the Atkins Tennis Center when the Fighting Irish came to town in 2002. Since then, the Illini have handed Notre Dame two losses in as many meetings.

“Notre Dame is a much improved team from last year and will be well prepared,” Tiley said. “We always have good matches with them, and it will be fun to play them on the road.”

Many of the Illini, who have not played since March 6 when the team defeated Indiana 4-3 in Bloomington, Ind., echoed a similar sentiment.

“It definitely adds more for the upperclassmen (that Illinois’ last home lost came at the hands of the Fighting Irish),” said Illinois senior Evan Zeder. “We’re excited to play a good team out of conference.”

Notre Dame nearly upset No. 2 Virginia in the team’s Feb. 27 clash, but the Cavaliers escaped 4-3. The Fighting Irish are also coming off a 4-3 victory over Rice, showing they can perform well in pressure situations. Five of the last six matches the Fighting Irish have played have been close 4-3 matches.

However the Illini have had the advantage over the Fighting Irish as of late. Illinois has won nine of the last 11 meetings between the two teams, sweeping Notre Dame 7-0 at the Atkins Tennis Center last year.

“It’s very important that we come out with a lot of energy,” Illinois junior Pramod Dabir said. “We played close at Indiana – a lot of us didn’t play very well – so it’s important to go out there and play well.”

Unlike the last time the Illini took the courts, they will have sophomore GD Jones in the lineup. Jones was competing as a member of the New Zealand Davis Cup team when Illinois took on Purdue and Indiana in their last matches. The Illini have had a relatively long break – 10 days – from competition since then. However, Tiley said he expects the men will be ready to return to the courts and should play well, if they do make the improvements they have been working on.

Illinois senior Chris Martin could return to the lineup as well, although whether he will play remains to be seen. Martin has been out all season battling stress fractures in his legs. However, he has started hitting again and is anxious to get back on the courts.

Martin, however, will not rush his recovery.

“First, I hope that I’m in the lineup,” he said. “But, we’re just going to take it one day at a time.”

Tiley said he expects the senior to be back in the lineup within the next week or two.

“Chris (Martin) brings energy, enthusiasm, fight and leads by example,” Tiley said. “We are still not sure if he is going to play this week, but if he does it will be a big addition for us.”