Illinois bounces back with wins against Michigan, MSU

By Amber Greviskes

Illinois head coach Craig Tiley said his team was focusing on improvement instead of results this weekend. This time, however, the Illini showed both when they defeated both Michigan and Michigan State 6-1.

“I don’t look at the score as an indication of our success as long as we’re making improvements in the right direction,” Tiley said.

For the Illini though, the trip had additional meaning.

Illinois had to bounce back from a 4-3 loss at the Atkins Tennis Center on Wednesday, their first loss at home since March 7, 2002.

But the Illini responded well, winning the doubles point in both Michigan State and Michigan.

Illinois freshman Kevin Anderson picked up a singles win at Michigan. He did not play singles at Michigan State. He defeated Ryan Heller 6-0, 6-1.

“I wouldn’t say it was unbelievable, but I played better,” Anderson said. “I tried to improve, but I’m not overly concerned about winning. I’m leaving the results to take care of themselves.”

Anderson said he was more aggressive and consistent throughout his matches, which helped him defeat his opponents.

The weekend also marked the first time freshman Ryan Rowe played singles since breaking his hand earlier this season. Rowe defeated the Spartans Michael Flowers 6-2, 6-0 in his Saturday match. He went on to beat Michigan’s David Anving 6-3, 6-7, 10-6.

“It feels nice to start playing again,” Rowe said. “I’m just trying to do my best and enjoy the experience. I just stayed in the match and fought to get every point.”

It was also the first time Illinois has faced Michigan since former Illinois associate head coach Bruce Berque left the Illini to assume the head coaching position at Michigan over the summer.

“It’s a little weird,” said Illinois junior Ryler DeHeart, who won the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Indoor singles title at Michigan’s Varsity Tennis Center in November. “He’s doing a great job with their team, but sometimes you forget that he’s not your coach anymore.”

DeHeart was not the only one who forgot about the coaching changes.

Berque said occasionally he had to catch himself before giving instructions to an Illinois athlete by mistake.

“I have a lot of great memories from those guys and our years together,” Berque said. “It is fun to see the seniors finish up their careers with a strong end.”

Berque was not the only former Illini representing Michigan over the weekend. Former Illinois tennis player Michael Kosta is the Wolverine’s assistant coach. Berque hired Kosta shortly after he became the head coach.

Illinois senior Chris Martin, however, did not acknowledge feeling the awkwardness.

“It was weird, but he’s a professional and I carried myself as a professional,” said Martin, the only Illini to lose his singles match in Ann Arbor. Martin won his singles match in East Lansing on Saturday when he defeated Adam Monich 6-2, 6-3.

Kosta said the hardest part of coaching at Michigan was coaching against his former teammates. Martin and fellow senior Conner Murninghan and Evan Zeder were freshmen when Kosta was a senior. Still, Kosta said, he is looking forward to the next time the teams clash at the Big Ten Tournament in Champaign, which starts April 28.

“The diploma says Illinois, but the paycheck says Michigan,” Kosta said. “I learned so much from being part of the Illinois program. I don’t know if I would be coaching or still involved with tennis if I hadn’t gone to Illinois.”