Former Illini return with mixed feelings

By Amber Greviskes

Throughout the Big Ten Tournament, there was a smattering of Illinois fans on hand whenever the Michigan men’s tennis team took the courts. But, although the quarterfinal match between No. 3-seed Michigan and Penn State went down to the wire – the Wolverines prevailing 4-3 – the Illini faithful were not necessarily at the Champaign Park District Courts to watch the tennis match.

Instead, many people came to see former Illinois associate head coach Bruce Berque and watch his team compete in Champaign. This weekend marked the first time Michigan competed at Illinois since Berque took the head coaching job there last summer.

Berque was not the only former Illini on hand who had traded his orange and blue garb for the maize and blue of the Wolverines. Former Illinois tennis player Mike Kosta, who played for the Illini from 1999 to 2002, returned as well – as Berque’s assistant.

But, Berque said, there is no bad blood between the teams – at least no more than can be expected between two teams fighting for a Big Ten Championship.

“It has been fun to see a lot of friendly faces and a lot of old friends,” Berque said. “I think it has made me realize how many good friends I have (at Illinois) and how good the people were here.”

The friendships Berque and Kosta formed at Illinois were even more evident when Michigan took on Ohio State in the semifinals of the tournament at the Atkins Tennis Center. Before the match, Berque stopped to congratulate Illinois junior Ryler DeHeart, who helped clinch the match for his team and send the Illini into the finals. Berque also stopped to say hello to Illinois freshman Ruben Gonzales – who he helped recruit but never coached.

After all, Kosta said, it is the people who made the new Michigan coaches’ time and experiences at Illinois unique.

But much has changed since Kosta last competed for the Illini in 2002. Several of his former teammates are competing on the pro circuit. Others have entered different professional fields.

“It definitely is different driving around wearing a Michigan shirt instead of an Illinois shirt,” Kosta said.

And, although this time Berque and Kosta returned for a business trip, Kosta said some things would never change.

“I love Champaign,” Kosta said. “I love my time I spent here.”

In many ways the affection and respect the former Illini feel toward Illinois is mutual.

Former Illinois athletes Michael Calkins and Nathan Zeder, who were members of several Illinois teams Kosta competed on, stayed after the Illinois semifinal victory to watch part of the Michigan match.

“They’re two of my best friends,” Kosta said. “It doesn’t matter what color I’m wearing or where I’m working or where they’re working – we’re best friends and to see them is great. They are great guys.”

Seeing the former Illini brought back a flood of memories for the two Michigan coaches as well. Both Berque and Kosta were in Athens, Ga., when Illinois won the NCAA team title in 2003.

Kosta was part of four Big Ten Championship teams while at Illinois. Berque was part of six.

But both have moved on with the intention of improving the Michigan program and helping it become one of the best in the nation, much like when Illinois head coach Craig Tiley transformed his program.

Berque admits there is still work to be done to transform the Michigan team into a consistent Big Ten title contender and leading the team to national stage is his primary concern.

But Michigan is making improvements, too.

Berque expects Michigan sophomore Brian Hung to gain confidence after clinching the quarterfinal match for the Wolverines – much like Illinois senior Chris Martin did after clinching the national title as a sophomore in 2003.

“It is not a National Championship and it is not a Big Ten Championship, but it is forward progress and that is important,” Berque said. “They’re happy with it, and that is what I’m happy about.”

Berque made other comparisons between the two squads as well.

This is a time of change at Michigan.

The coaches are pushing the athletes harder and the athletes are responding well. Berque is still a very methodical, organized, detail-oriented coach. Kosta is still the same energetic individual he was in college.

“I wish that I could spend more time with all of the Illinois players and with Craig and with all of the guys that I helped recruit and coach when I was here,” Berque said. “But I have my guys now.”

The Michigan athletes are developing quite well under Berque, too. The Wolverines finished third in the Big Ten – their highest finish since 1999. Freshman Matko Maravic won the Big Ten Player of the Week award four times in the season as well – the most any athlete has won the award in a single season in conference history.

Still, the former Illinois associate head coach has missed watching the development of the athletes he helped recruit.

During the summer, he predicted a “breakthrough year” for DeHeart, an Illinois junior. He was right.

DeHeart won the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Midwest Regional and National singles titles. DeHeart and sophomore GD Jones also won the ITA Midwest Regional doubles title as well.

Both the ITA National and ITA Midwest Regional Championships were held at Michigan’s Varsity Tennis Center.

Illinois reached the Final Four of the ITA National Indoor Men’s Tennis Team Championships. Illinois also swept through another Big Ten regular season undefeated and won the Big Ten Tournament Championship on Sunday.

“I miss Illinois – I do,” Berque said. “I’ve thought many times this year that I miss the guys and that I wish I could still be part of it; and at the same time I’m very proud of (the Michigan athletes’) accomplishments.”