Delic and Ram represent men’s tennis at U.S. Open tournament

By Amber Greviskes

Former Illinois standout Amer Delic completed his romp through the U.S. Open on Thursday.

Delic, Illinois’ first and only NCAA singles champion, won his first-round qualifying match against Alex Bogdanovic earlier this week.

However, he was stopped in the next round of the tournament by Alexander Peya. Peya topped Delic 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7) on Thursday.

Delic was a member of the Illinois men’ tennis team in 2003. That year, the Illini won their first Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Indoor team title and the team’s only NCAA team title.

Despite Delic’s shortened trip to the most prestigious tennis tournament in the United States, Illinois head coach Brad Dancer said the current members of the team are proud of Delic’s accomplishments.

The Illini will be looking forward to the continuation of the tournament next week when former Illini Rajeev Ram begins competition against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland.

Ram earned a wild card into the main draw of the tournament after reaching his first challenger final at the Comerica Challenger in Aptos, Calif. He also advanced to the singles and doubles semifinals of the Forest Hills Grass Court Challenger in Forest Hills, NY.

The furthest Ram has advanced at the U.S. Open was last year when he reached the second round of the doubles draw with partner Brian Baker.

Dancer said Delic and Ram, and their success, are an inspiration to the current Illini.

“That’s how you fuel the dream and keep the dreams on fire,” Dancer said. “You show them that it’s possible.”

Perhaps, more inspiring was Delic’s performance at Arthur Ashe Stadium last year when he took Carlos Moya of Spain, the tournament’s No. 3-seeded player, to four sets in a best-of-five challenge.

“He’s a main draw player there,” Dancer said. “He was in the main draw there last year and he’ll be in the main draw there next year.”