Alumnus inspires team despite U.S. Open loss

By Amber Greviskes

Rajeev Ram left a lasting legacy after his semester at Illinois.

The tennis player won virtually every award possible in one spring season and propelled the Illini to the NCAA team title.

It has been two years since Ram has donned an Illini jersey, but he is still inspiring his former teammates and current Illini he never competed with.

Ram lost in the first round of the U.S. Open on Tuesday to Stanislas Warwinka 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (6), 6-7 (2), 7-5.

Still, Ram’s appearance in the main draw of the most prestigious event held in the United States proved again that Illinois can continue to produce professional athletes who will see success amongst the world’s best athletes.

“It was a gutty performance,” said Illinois head coach Brad Dancer. “I’m sure Raj is disappointed that he’s come so close with the chance to get his first win there.”

Although Ram did not win the match, Illinois senior Ryler DeHeart, said he is confident that Ram will bounce back despite the loss which DeHeart called a “heartbreaker.”

“When you lose a close match like that, you see it as another opportunity that you could have taken advantage of,” DeHeart said. “But, he was doing the right things to get there, and I think he’s just going to keep doing it right.”

Dancer has faith that Ram’s rise to prominence among the world’s elite tennis players will continue.

Ram recently attained a career-high world ranking after reaching the finals of the Comerica Challenger in Aptos, Calif. He was also a semifinalist in singles and doubles at the Forest Hills Grass Court Challenger in Forest Hills, NY.

“It’s not been easy for him, I think, over the last 12 months,” Dancer said. “Right now it’s just an exciting time for him, and we’re all back here rooting him on and hoping he can keep this win streak going through the fall and the indoor season.”

One Illini who is cheering for Ram is sophomore Ruben Gonzales.

Gonzales and Ram, who both hail from Indiana, have had similiar careers.

Ram played for one year at Carmel High School in Carmel, Ind., before deciding to focus on national and international competition while honing his tennis skills. Gonzales spent one year at North Central High School where he earned all-state honors.

Throughout their junior careers the men worked with the same coach, and as Gonzales started looking at colleges, Ram urged him to choose Illinois.

After that, the similarities in the men’s careers begin to end.

However, Gonzales said, it is still reassuring to see Illinois athletes competing well at the highest level of professional competition.

“It gives you more hope – I aspire to play there some day – and I’m happy for him too,” Gonzales said. “I expect him to be there and I expect myself to be there.”