Delic reaches third round of Grand Slam event

By Amber Greviskes

Amer Delic is well-known for his singles prowess on the tennis courts, but at the U.S. Open, his doubles skills are grabbing attention.

Delic, who won the NCAA singles title in 2003 while competing for the Illini, advanced to the third round of the U.S. Open doubles tournament.

“Unfortunately, it won’t do much for his career,” said Illinois head coach Brad Dancer. “It’s great and outstanding in terms of an honor and a motivation to keep going though.”

Delic joined former Florida standout Jeff Morrison for the tournament. Morrison won the NCAA singles title in 1999, before turning pro in his junior year. He won that title over James Blake.

The unseeded pair topped No. 5-seeded Leander Paes and Nenad Zimojic in the first round 7-6 (6), 7-6 (2).

In the second round, Delic saw a familiar face on the opposite side of the tennis court when he faced off against Graydon Oliver.

Oliver was a member of Illinois’ first title-winning NCAA doubles team.

“Obviously, Graydon has proven himself as one of the greatest doubles players in the world,” Dancer said.

Oliver and partner Jordan Kerr advanced to the second round of the U.S. Open when the team beat Tomas Berdych and Florian Mayer 6-4, 6-4.

Although Oliver is the elder of the two Illini, this time, Delic emerged a winner.

Delic and Morrison won in straight sets, beating Oliver and Kerr 7-5, 7-5.

Delic and Morrison were unable to carry that momentum into the third round, however, losing to 11th-seeded Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram 7-6 (3), 6-3.

This was the first time Delic advanced past the first round of the U.S. Open doubles tournament.

Last year, he reached the second round of the main draw in singles.

Former Illini Rajeev Ram, who teammed with Brian Wilson to win the NCAA doubles title in 2003, was not as lucky.

Ram and partner Brian Baker, who reached the second round of the U.S. Open last year, did not make it past the first round.

Ram and Baker lost to Bobby Reynolds and Scoville Jenkins 6-1, 2-6, 6-3.

Still, Dancer said having three Illini in the U.S. Open is an impressive accomplishment.

The three men still wear their Illinois apparel when they play professionally, Dancer said, which he feels heightens the level of exposure the tennis program receives.

Illinois sophomore Monte Tucker said that seeing three former Illini in the U.S. Open was exciting even though he was not on the team when Delic, Oliver and Ram competed.

“Just the support that they get while doing something they love is awesome,” Tucker said.

Tucker said the current Illini, who have never competed alongside the trio that finished its romp through the doubles draw of the U.S. Open earlier this week, is because the former Illini are still very much a part of the team.

“We’re probably the closest-knit team ever,” Tucker said. “You’re always coming back to the team to work out and talk to the coaches – it’s all about loyalty.”