Carroll wins honor

Sophomore Maggie Carroll finishes first with a time of 17:46:93 during the Pack-it-up Challenge on Saturday. Peter Hoffman

Sophomore Maggie Carroll finishes first with a time of 17:46:93 during the “Pack-it-up” Challenge on Saturday. Peter Hoffman

By Erin Foley

Illinois sophomore Maggie Carroll was named Big Ten Runner of the Week on Tuesday after she recorded a first-place finish in last weekend’s “Pack-It-Up” Challenge at the Arbortetum.

Carroll led the team with a time of 17:46. She broke a personal best by 15 seconds and improved her finish from last year’s Challenge by 35 seconds.

“I was shocked at first,” Carroll said of the honor. “It is a huge confidence builder. I wouldn’t of expected to get it, but I was definitely suprised.”

The women’s cross country team won last Saturday’s 5k with 28 points. Loyola finished with 44 points, while Illinois State came in third with 48 points. The Illini swept the top-three places at the Challenge. Sophomore Katie Coppin finished second with a time of 17:52, while sophomore Rachel Hernandez came in at 18:09.

Saturday marked Carroll’s return to racing; during February’s indoor track season she broke her foot after someone stepped on it.

“When you’re coming back, you’re just happy to get running,” Carroll said. “I was named Big Ten Runner of the Week and Athlete of the Week for Irwin (Academic Center), so when everything happens all at once, you feel like, ‘Oh my goodness.'”

Carroll is the second Illinois sophomore to earn Big Ten Runner of the Week honors in two years. Junior Cassie Hunt received the award on Oct. 5 of last year.

Carroll said she knows this honor will only help her throughout the rest of the season, including the team’s next meet, the Notre Dame Invite, on Sept. 30 in South Bend, Ind.

“It is one of those things where I am back, I can do this, and I will do this,” Carroll said.