Spring makes World Championship team

By Erin Foley

Over the weekend, senior standout Justin Spring qualified for the team that will represent the United States in the 2005 World Gymnastic Championships in Melbourne, Australia on Nov. 21-27. Spring was one of 19 gymnasts to compete for one of six spots.

Despite a minor neck strain that forced him out of the second day of competition, the six members on the selection committee felt Spring’s 9.65 on parallel bars, a field best, and 9.4 in floor exercise proved worthy enough. Spring said USA Gymnastics looks at each gymnast “in every possible way, from character to performance” when choosing its lineup.

Spring, though, said he was worried after not being able to compete the second day, even though he admitted that he could not have asked for better sets on floor exercise and parallel bars. The reigning Visa U.S. National High Bar Champion and 2005 World Cup High Bar Runner-Up, admitted that he “missed on high bar,” but in the end, he still qualified on all three events.

“It was nerve-wracking waiting on that decision,” Spring said. “Once (the Committee) got all the team members together, you just realized what you were a part of, and realized how much more training was needed.”

Illinois head men’s gymnastics coach Yoshi Hayasaki said he was “a little upset that Spring couldn’t compete on the second day.” Spring said the decision to withdraw from the competition came down to the fact that performing elite-level gymnastics with an injured neck was not only dangerous, but that if he went out and did poorly, it would have been the last thing the selection committe would have seen. It was also a concern of assistant coach Jon Valdez, was accompanied Spring on the trip.

“It’s certainly very exciting, but it wasn’t a surprise,” Hayaski said of Spring being named to the World Team. “He has proven himself as one of the best in high bar in the U.S., if not in the world.”

Although the World Championships are more than a month away, Spring said he will be leaving Nov. 13 for Melbourne, which limits his training time. Both Spring’s start-values for high bar and floor exericise will be scored from values of 10.00. At the Selection Competition in Colorado Spring, Colo., he successfully attempted skills that only a select few gymnasts in the world have used in tumbling passes or on high bar.

“Since I’ve already completed them, I’m a little more comfortable with them,” Spring said. “My sets are at a point where it’s just about fine-tuning.”

Along with Spring, the U.S. team includes: Sean Golden (Houston Gymnastics Academy), Kevin Tan (Penn State University), and Todd Thornton, Yewki Tomita and Jason Gatson (all of Team Chevron). David Sender (Stanford) is the alternate.

“(Spring) is one of very few gymnasts who has the potential to win a medal for the U.S.,” Hayasaki said. “The Hamms are not competing, but other than those two boys, he is the next gymnast to win any medal (for the U.S.).”

Illinois Ranked No. 2

Illiniois men’s gymnastics is ranked No. 2 in the nation by the GymInfo Coaches’ poll released Wednesday. Illinois received four first-place votes, while Oklahoma is ranked No.1 (5). Ohio State is second, California is third and Penn State rounds out the top-five.

The Illini, coming off a third-place finish at last April’s National Championships, will look to especially challenge Oklahoma, the preseason No. 1 team the last five years.

“The last three seasons we’ve been doing very well; the upperclassmen are aware of what they have to do to prepare for a National Championship,” Hayasaki said. “They are very hungry and motivated.”

The team returns 10 letterwinners and will open its season Dec. 9 with the annual Mixed Pairs exhibition event at Huff Hall.

“We’re going to do what we can,” Spring said, “but we’ve learned that with preseason rankings, it all comes down to one day at Nationals.”