Consistency key for Illini in weekend win

Austin Happel

Austin Happel

By Erin Foley

After a two-week break from competition, the Illinois men’s gymnastics team toppled Temple by a score of 209.650-191.150 on Saturday night.

After hitting 75 percent of its routines, Illinois was able to take home five event titles in a team performance much improved after its loss to No. 1 Ohio State on Jan. 28.

“I saw some guys working harder than I’ve ever seen in a while,” senior Justin Spring said. “Hit percentage-wise it paid off, we did real well this weekend. A lot of guys are really happy with the way this weekend went, including the coaches.”

Senior Adam Pummer continued his consistency for the Illini by winning the high bar title with a score of 9.450 and echoed Spring’s thoughts.

“It was more of a mental positive for everybody,” Pummer said of Illinois’ turnaround. “Last week, our problem was confidence, some of the guys didn’t feel like they could hit their stuff. But this week, you could see it in everybody’s eyes.”

Spring was back in the Illinois lineup as he captured an event title on parallel bars. His score of 9.800 set an Illinois record under the new FIG code of points. Head coach Yoshi Hayasaki also said Spring’s 8.750 in rings, an event he has not competed in all year, was a “big boost” to the team.

Sophomore Wes Haagensen won his first all-around title of the season in his first attempt after having shoulder surgery last summer. Haagensen finished with an all-around score of 50.400 and finished in the top-three in floor exercise, high bar, vault, parallel bars and rings. Although Haagensen’s shoulder is not 100 percent, he said it is to the point that he “can put it aside and not worry about it.”

Senior Ted Brown grabbed an event title after a 9.000 pommel horse routine, while sophomores Chris Silcox and Tyler Yamauchi captured first-place finishes in vault and rings with scores of 9.150 and 9.300, respectively.

The Illini will look to continue their improved consistency as they take on No. 4 Iowa and No. 5 Michigan in Iowa City, Iowa on Saturday.

“We’re halfway through the season, now we’re getting into the much tougher competition against Michigan and Iowa,” Hayasaki said. “I think it’s the right time for us where things will start to turn around; we’re getting healthier and becoming a little more consistent.”