Illini to travel to Las Vegas for five-game tournament

By Erin Foley

Last weekend, the Illinois softball team opened its season in a four-game set, going 2-2 at the Getterman Classic hosted by Baylor. One of Illinois’ victories came against No. 10 Baylor, 12-6. This weekend, the Illini’s competition will continue to stay tough. The team takes on No. 12 Oregon State and No. 6 California, who shared the Pac 10 title in 2005, in a five-game tournament in Las Vegas on Feb. 17-19.

“A lot of people in the softball world look at who we play and say, ‘What a schedule,'” head coach Terri Sullivan said in a press release. “This will give us a glimpse of what we hope the postseason will be like”

On Saturday, the Illini will play back-to-back games against Utah State (1-2) and Utah (2-3), who is batting .309 on the young season.

The focus, Sullivan said, will be on winning innings and not being affected in a game whether they are ahead or behind.

“The players understand that it is a seven-inning process,” Sullivan said. “There were so many players who contributed, and we had highlights in every phase of the game.”

In the Illini’s first weekend of play, three players were named to the all-tournament team at the Getterman Classic – sophomore shortstop Angelena Mexicano, sophomore third baseman Shanna Diller and senior center fielder Racelle Coriddi all received the honor.

Mexicano hit two home runs last Sunday, including a grand slam against Tulsa and batted .385 with seven RBI’s. Coriddi had five stolen bases and seven runs scored, while Diller batted .385 and had five RBI’s.