Senior Spring earns honors

By Erin Foley

Senior gymnast Justin Spring will head into his final home meet on Saturday against Army after earning one award and being named a finalist for another.

Spring was named a finalist for the Nissen-Emery Award, the award given out to the top senior gymnast in the country, Thursday. Spring, one of eight finalists, looks to become the first Illini since David Zeddies won the award in 1989.

“It’s the Heisman of gymnastics; it’s the biggest award you can walk away with,” said Spring, the seven-time All-American and 2005 Visa U.S. Championships high bar champion. “It’s an honor and it reflects well on (Illinois’) program, our coaches and my family. I’m excited to see what happens in the future.”

The Nissen-Emery Award will be handed out April 5 at the annual College Gymnastics Association banquet – a day prior to the start of the 2006 NCAA Men’s Gymnastics Championships in Norman, Okla. The seven other award finalists include Chad Buczek (Penn State), Nate Downs (Stanford), Jamie Henderson (Oklahoma), Ramon Jackson (William and Mary), Michael Reavis (Iowa) and Gerry Signorelli (Michigan).

The award also takes into consideration more than just athletic ability. Spring said it is a gauge of, “Are you a good person?” along with contributions to the senior class.

But the two-time USA Gymnastics Senior National team member, 2005 Winter Cup high bar champion and 2005 NCAA parallel bars champion says that while his chances are good, there is a lot of competition.

“I think I have just as good of a chance as anyone else nominated,” Spring said. “I have a good shot, but there are a lot of good guys out there.”

Spring was also named Big Ten Co-Gymnast of the Week on Wednesday. Spring led the Illini with two event titles last weekend, helping Illinois to a 217.600-214.400 win over Iowa. The Illini’s score was the NCAA’s nation’s best team score.

“I didn’t expect a thing, it was my first meet back,” Spring said after sitting out the meet on Feb. 25 with shoulder pain after receiving a cortisone shot. “It’s good to be named the best gymnast and be back at my potential.”