Big Ten weekend offers rocky start for women

By Troy Murray

Illinois’ Big Ten season got off to an unsuccessful start this weekend, as the Illini lost three of four games to Iowa and Wisconsin, the only win coming Sunday in the second game against Wisconsin.

Illinois finally got in the conference win column in the last game of the weekend. Wisconsin got off to a hot start, taking the lead 5-1 in the third inning, but Illinois pitcher Claire DeVreese did not allow a run the rest of the way and Illinois came storming back for its first Big Ten win.

Illinois offensive leader Jenna Hall was rendered helpless by Iowa earlier in the weekend, but she finally saw some pitches and made the Badgers pay, sending a home run over the left field wall in the fifth inning. Wisconsin took a page from Iowa’s book, though, and forced Illinois to beat them with a player besides Hall the rest of the way.

And that’s what they did.

In the sixth inning, Illinois took advantage of two Wisconsin errors and a passed ball to score five runs and take the lead 9-5. Angelena Mexicano kept up her hot hitting with a 2 RBI double to left.

“That win was very critical for us,” said Terri Sullivan, head softball coach. “We obviously want to be in it till the end in the conference race. You have to get some wins. That’s not easy, especially in this conference, but that’s why it’s an honor to play in the Big Ten.”

On Friday and Saturday, Iowa got off to a quick start, scoring five runs in the first inning of both games, both of which was all they needed for the wins.

Hall collected seven intentional walks in the series against Iowa as Hawkeye head coach Gayle Blevins refused to let Hall see a hittable pitch.

“That just means someone behind her has to love the opportunity and challenge to get another RBI because she’s on base,” Sullivan said. “Someone else has to step up.”

Hall collected seven walks in the series against Iowa, and for the most part, the Hawkeyes’ strategy worked. Weil, who struck out nine and allowed only two hits on Friday, intentionally walked Hall to lead off the fifth inning Saturday. After Weil hit third basemen Shanna Diller with a pitch, Kisten Martin turned on an inside pitch and sent it over the right field wall to bring the Illini within a run.

But Weil did not give up another run and threw her second complete game in as many days to improve her record to 13-7. Weil struck out seven and scattered five hits, allowing four runs.

Iowa extended its winning streak to six games and improved to 19-12 overall with the sweep of the season series.

“Iowa is traditionally a stronghold in the Big Ten,” Sullivan said. “I think there’s no better time to play them. We felt good coming off the wins against Loyola. You can’t pick and choose who you’re going to play. You just have to win each inning.”