Minnesota swept away

Illinois softball player Rachelle Coriddi stands at bat during the Illinois-Iowa game on March 31. Tessa Pelias

By Troy Murray

Illinois starting pitcher Claire DeVreese held the Minnesota offense to just one run in two games, and the Illini bats were too much for the Golden Gophers as Illinois swept the doubleheader.

DeVreese has been hot lately, lowering her earned run average from 5.40 on April 7 to 4.72 prior to this weekend. In that span of nine games, DeVreese has a 2.65 ERA. DeVreese continued a recent trend this weekend by giving up just one run and allowing 10 hits in 14 innings pitched against Minnesota.

“Claire continues to get stronger as our season progresses,” said head coach Terri Sullivan. “She is really throwing good pitches and a good mix of pitches. No matter what, to win two games in a day against the same team is a great accomplishment. She’s our horse, the leader of our staff and we’re really proud she’s grown during the season.”

The Illini improved to 7-6 in Big Ten play and 5-1 in the last six conference games. The two wins mark the first time Illinois has been over .500 in Big Ten play all season.

“The team is really pleased,” Sullivan said. “We knew coming into the weekend these wins were critical in the conference race. Every game at this time of year in the Big Ten is a dog fight. I believe the team is in the right frame of mind at the most important part of the season.”

Minnesota, a team known for pitching and defense, imposed its slow type of play on Illinois in most of the first game, holding Illinois scoreless through five innings.

That was until the sixth inning when Illinois’ powerful offense showed what it was capable of, tacking seven runs on the board. Junior Kisten Martin took Minnesota starting pitcher Renee Konderik deep to left centerfield for a three run homer.

Leftfielder Molly Lawhead made it back-to-back homeruns and leadoff hitter Rachelle Coriddi singled to right field three batters later, driving in another two runners to make the score 6-0.

“We just got more aggressive,” Sullivan said. “They have a good pitching staff but early on in the first game we were looking at a lot of good pitches. When you do that you can’t get your rhythm going and that’s important with hitting.”

Shortstop Angelena Mexicano continued her amazing run, driving Coriddi in on a single through the right side. Mexicano now has a total of 45 RBIs on the season.

Illinois collected 10 walks in the second game, but left 12 runners on base as Minnesota forced Illinois to beat them with a player besides senior first basemen Jenna Hall.

Hall, who entered the games hitting .505, never saw a hittable pitch in the doubleheader and walked seven separate times. Since moving Hall up to the number two spot in the order against Penn State, Illinois is 7-3.

“We try to position Jenna somewhere she can help us the most,” Sullivan said. “With Rachelle being our lead-off hitter, we think that’s the place for her. We also feel that we have a lot of hitters following Jenna now. We really make it a difficult decision to walk her when the girls are hitting like this.”