Tailgate tradition offers activities for students

Illinois softball player Lana Armstrong drops the bat and runs for first base during the Illinois vs. Iowa softball game on March 31. Tessa Pelias

By Troy Murray

Saturday marks one of the biggest days for Illinois softball, and it’s not just because first place Northwestern comes to town. The final weeks of the school year have become notorious with the World’s Largest Softball Tailgate held at Eichelberger Field in Urbana.

The tradition was started three years ago by Director of Development Shawn Wax and then Illinois senior Sarah Baumgartner when an estimated crowd of 1,500 attended the all-day tailgate.

The following year that mark was broken with a crowd estimated at 2,100 at a tailgate that added features such as a live deejay, face painting and entertainment for young kids.

The concept and goal has not changed for this year’s much anticipated matchup against a 38-11 Northwestern team that could clinch the Big Ten title with one win against Illinois either Saturday or Sunday.

Illini senior first baseman Jenna Hall said she appreciates the support the fans bring on this “holiday” type event.

“The tailgate is a great atmosphere for the team, the community and softball fans in general,” Hall said. “It makes it a lot of fun having the stands full and everyone cheering us on. Either way it’s fun to play at home, but this is going to be something special.”

Illinois hopes the mark will be broken with a new-and-improved tailgate including activities for University of Illinois students such as a bags tournament and a free barbeque beginning around 1 p.m., alongside Florida Avenue. Other activities such as inflatable games, face painting and live music will begin at 2:30 p.m. in the grass parking lot on the west side of Eichelberger Field.

Head coach Terri Sullivan said she thinks Illinois students should show up to get excited for a great softball series and free food.

“It’s a great event,” Sullivan said. “Nobody has anything like it in the country from a softball perspective. It’s a great chance for fans to see some great softball. It’s going to be a big-time Big Ten battle. We’ve got something for everyone, and we can’t wait to see students out because they bring the spirit and enthusiasm for the University of Illinois.”

For three Illini seniors this will be the last World’s Largest Softball Tailgate, something center fielder Rachelle Coriddi said she will miss once she graduates.

“My favorite thing is playing at home and having a huge crowd,” Coriddi said. “Of course that’s going to be something us three seniors are going to miss.”