Improved defense no match for OSU

By Troy Murray

Early on in the football season, head coach Ron Zook repeatedly praised the offensive line, calling it the “most improved” part of the team. Hopefully his opinion has changed because the defense has been turning heads all season.

One year ago, the Illinois defense finished 115th in the nation in total defense and Ohio State was among nine teams that scored more than 35 points against the Illini. Through nine games, Illinois is ranked 39th. The additions of freshman Travon Bellamy and Vontae Davis combined with the veteran experience of Alan Ball, Kevin Mitchell and J Leman have made for quite a good mix on defense.

“We execute a lot better,” Leman said. “Every guy on the team is one year older and the young guys have come in and helped us. Guys have more experience. We’ve grown up.”

It’s easy to overlook junior outside linebacker Leman, but with another terrific performance last Saturday against Wisconsin, Leman is making a realistic case for Big Ten defensive player of the year. With 13 total tackles, 9 of which were solo, Leman boosted his average to 10.89 per game, good for eighth in the nation.

But then again, the Illini defense has not faced an offense of Ohio State’s caliber. The offensive side of the ball for the Buckeyes features four players that could be taken in the first two or three rounds of next year’s NFL draft. Heisman Trophy front runner Troy Smith, the second coming of Vince Young, threw his coming out party last year during the Fiesta Bowl when he threw for 342 yards and two scores.

But Smith’s receivers don’t exactly make it tough on him. Smith, considered by most to be the anchor of the Buckeye offense, throws to lightning-quick receiver Ted Ginn Jr. and one of the nation’s top wideouts in Anthony Gonzalez.

It doesn’t stop in the air, though. Throw a nickel defense at Ohio State and Antonio Pittman will surely beat you on the ground. The athleticism in this group is scary, bringing up the question of who the Illini need to stop to stay competitive.

Double cover Gonzalez and Ginn might break free for a deep pass. Double cover both and the Ohio State offensive line will create huge holes for Pittman.

“Who do we not need to focus on – there are so many outstanding football players on the offensive side of the ball for them,” Leman said.

That’s exactly the point. How do you stop them? As a wise Stuart Scott says, “You can’t stop him, you can only hope to contain him.” That adage applies to four of Ohio State’s impact players on offense. Containing all four is one tough assignment – especially for an Illini defense that is still young and developing.

To understand just how good the Buckeyes are look at the 2006 NFL Draft. Five Ohio State players were taken in the first round of the draft last year and four others were taken thereafter. Fast forward to this season and Ohio State has reloaded, surrounding veterans with top level recruits. Without those nine players, the Buckeyes are still atop the AP and Coaches Polls and lead the way in the BCS standings.

“They’re a good football team,” said head coach Ron Zook. “They’re well coached and very talented. I think our guys will show up and be ready to play.”

Hopefully so, or the Illini might get smashed.

Troy Murray is a junior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected]