Park leads women’s golf team

By Meghan Montemurro

After winning the Indiana Invitational for her first-career medalist title, junior Seul Ki Park was named Co-Big Ten Golfer of the Week.

Park will share the honor with Purdue sophomore Maria Hernandez.

“It’s really exciting because there are a lot of golfers in the Big Ten, and to receive that title for a week is a big honor,” Park said.

Illinois head coach Renee Slone said Park’s play has become consistent, allowing her to get lower scores that lead to top finishes.

“She played very smart and put two solid rounds together,” Slone said. “She was able to minimize her mistakes, and when she did make them she made smart shots to get back into it.”

The last Illini to be named Big Ten Golfer of the Week is current teammate Kristine Cook, who was given the honor on April 14, 2005.

Park out-distanced the field, winning by three shots.

Park also tied Illinois’ 36-hole record with 144.

Park’s previous best was four second-place finishes.

“She’s had some extremely good tournaments,” Slone said. “She has gained a lot of confidence in her game the last couple of weeks.”

It has been more than two years since a member of the Illini has been an individual medalist.

Park helped lead the Illini to a third-place finish out of 17 teams at the Indiana Invitational.

On the season, Park leads Illinois in stroke average at 76.7.

“I thought I performed and handled myself very well,” Park said.

“After the first day I knew I was leading by two strokes, so I had that in the back of my head. So I just went out there and played my game,” she said.