Hockey team sweeps Penn State

Kevin Wicklin, 27, vies with Frank Berry, 16 of Penn State, for control of the puck in the third period of the hockey game at the Ice Arena on Saturday, October 13, 2007. Illinois beat no. 1 Penn State in their second game of the weekend 3-1. Erica Magda

By Wes Anderson

Three early powerplay goals, including Jason Nemeth’s third of the weekend, led to a 3-1 win and propelled the Illinois hockey club to its first sweep of Penn State since 2003. Johnny Liang and Jordan Pringle each scored their seventh goals of the season, while goaltender DJ Kohler shut down the visiting Icers with 33 saves.

Early Penn State miscues and penalties allowed the Illini (6-0-0) to establish control over the pace of the series finale. Nemeth, a junior left-winger, started the scoring with a 4 on 3 goal nearly 18 minutes into the game. Liang and Pringle, who assisted Nemeth, would each net a power play score of their own as Illinois jumped to a 3-0 lead early in the second period.

It would be all the goals the Illini would need, as Penn State (4-2-0) was given few clear chances against a solid defense. The Icers would net one goal, as Tim O’Brien scored with 1:39 left in the second period, but would never again get past DJ Kohler, who made his third start of the year. A goalless third period allowed the obligatory bleacher chants of “overrated” to rain down on the Icers as time expired.

The Illini will hit the road for the first time next week, taking on Lindenwood on Saturday before the Lions travel to Champaign for a two game set beginning October 26.