Negotiations for Bonds’ 756th HR ball break down

By The Associated Press

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. – Asterisk or not, the ball Barry Bonds launched for his record-breaking 756th home run won’t land in the Hall of Fame.

The Hall said Tuesday recent talks with fashion designer Marc Ecko, who bought the souvenir for more than $750,000, had “unfortunately reached an impasse.”

“The owner’s previous commitment to unconditionally donate the baseball has changed to a loan. As a result, the Hall of Fame will not be able to accept the baseball,” the Hall said in a statement.

“Should the owner choose to unconditionally donate the ball to the museum at a future date, we would be delighted and of course, accept his offer,” it said.

Nearly all of the Hall’s 35,000-plus artifacts were presented on a permanent basis. The shrine does make exceptions – Willie Mays loaned the glove he used to make his famous, over-the-shoulder catch in the 1954 World Series.

Ecko set up a Web site to let people vote on three options for the prize: give it straight to the Hall, mark it with an asterisk before sending it to Cooperstown or shoot it into space on a rocket ship.

In late September, Ecko said 10 million votes were recorded and that 47 percent favored adding an asterisk, 34 percent wanted it sent to the Hall and 19 percent picked outer space.