Favre’s future still uncertain; QB seeking outright release

By The Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. – With the Brett Favre standoff still simmering, Aaron Rodgers took his place Monday as the Packers’ new starting quarterback.

Rodgers is trying to ignore what has become a daily soap opera involving the three-time MVP. Favre is considering filing for reinstatement with the NFL and reporting to camp this week, a move likely intended to pressure Green Bay to grant him his release – something the Packers refuse to do – or trade him.

The NFL had not received reinstatement paperwork from Favre as of Monday evening.

“I feel like this is really between Brett and the organization, and I’m just trying to stay focused on the things I can control,” Rodgers said after the team’s first practice at camp.

General manager Ted Thompson spoke twice with Favre on Saturday, for about 45 minutes each time. They decided it would be best for Favre to stay away from Green Bay for now.

“We still have not gotten to the point where we agree on what the best option is,” Thompson said Monday. “We have sort of agreed to disagree, and at that time he suggested he would probably delay coming to training camp for at least a couple of days to see how things worked out.”

The Packers aren’t going to allow Favre to play for an NFC North rival and aren’t going to trade him without getting value in return. And Favre might not want to play for any of the teams showing interest, a group that includes Tampa Bay and the New York Jets. Thompson acknowledged talking to other teams.

“There have been some ‘kicking of tires’-type conversations,” he said.

Favre wants to be released, something Thompson opposes. The Packers hold Favre’s rights until his contract expires after the 2010 season.

“A release just doesn’t make a lot of sense from the Packers’ point of view,” Thompson said. “I’ve not heard many people say that’s a good option – even people that would like to hang me in effigy outside.”

The Packers have filed tampering charges against Minnesota, suspecting Favre’s latest flip-flop on his future was spurred mainly by interest from the Vikings.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is trying to help the sides reach a settlement.

“I’m glad to see that there are productive discussions and they’re talking directly to one another,” Goodell said from Buffalo Bills training camp Monday. “They’re both important to the league going forward, and I’m hopeful they’ll reach a proper resolution.”

Goodell said the league was working toward a resolution of the tampering investigation.