Women’s lacrosse club goes 3-0 in 1st tournament

The Illinois women’s lacrosse club went 3-0 Sunday in its first tournament of the season.

“We were a little nervous going in since we had only had three weeks of practice together, but confident that we could stay competitive,” club president Charlotte Piwowar said in an e-mail.

The Illini opened play on the weekend with a 12-6 win against Purdue and 10-6 victory against tournament-host Butler. “We were ahead for most of the game against both Purdue and Butler. Dayton was our final game, though, and we knew going in that they would be our toughest competitors yet, since we had both won our first two games that day,” said Piwowar, who finished the weekend with one assist.

The Dayton match began even, with the teams tied 5-5 at halftime. It stayed close until the score reached 8-8, from which point Illinois scored five unanswered goals to win 13-8.

Junior Alyssa Fullerton led Illinois’ efforts on the weekend with seven goals, three assists and two draws, while senior Meg LoBianco, sophomore Kailee Sarich and freshman Megan Moore finished with five goals apiece.

Twelve different Illini finished the weekend with at least one goal.

“Everyone really played well together and as a team, which, it can sometimes be difficult to get that kind of chemistry going,” Piwowar said.