UPDATED: KAMS aids Orange Krush amid ticket scandal

Sidney Malone

Members of the Orange Krush student section yell at the men’s basketball game against Michigan State on Jan. 13. Due to recent events, Orange Krush will not be at the game at Iowa on Saturday, making the first time since 2002 that the group will not travel to an away match, excluding the 2020-21 season.

By Drew Friberg and Heather Robinson

Illinois’ student section leaders, the Orange Krush, released a statement on Twitter Wednesday night describing a complication in the group’s 20th annual road match attendance.

Since 2002, with the exception of 2020-21, the Orange Krush has annually traveled to one conference match each season to support the men’s basketball team. After fundraising nearly $6,000 for tickets at an away game against Iowa this season, according to the statement, the Iowa Athletics Department found the Orange Krush’s claims to be false. The athletics department claimed that the Orange Krush ordered these tickets on behalf of the Illinois chapter of the Boys and Girls Club, striking down the ability for the traveling student section to continue the tradition for its 20th iteration.

Just two hours after the Orange Krush statement was published, Iowa’s men’s basketball released its own statement on Twitter, claiming that the individual who ordered the tickets “admitted to falsely ordering tickets under the non-profit organization.”

The Orange Krush will be unable to travel to Saturday’s match and must now cancel the 20th anniversary of the tradition. To fill the gap left by the original ticket sales, Iowa’s Department of Athletics said they donated tickets to the Boys and Girls Club of Cedar Rapids and refunded the original order.

Update: Feb. 3

Campus bar, KAMS is stepping in to help Orange Krush and said that it is donating $6,000 to the students to make up for the fund’s loss.

This is a developing story. Stay tuned for updates.

@DrewFriberg9