Skyy Clark enters transfer portal following extended absence from Illinois men’s basketball

Freshman+guard+Skyy+Clark+dribbles+the+ball+down+the+court+during+the+second+half+against+Kansas+City+on+Nov.+11.+

Sydney Laput

Freshman guard Skyy Clark dribbles the ball down the court during the second half against Kansas City on Nov. 11.

By James Kim, Sports Editor

The Skyy Clark era in Champaign is over as the freshman guard prepares to enter the transfer portal, per Joe Tipton on Twitter. The former five-star recruit featured in just 13 of the Illini’s games over the first half of the 2022-23 season.

Clark’s last game with the program took place on January 4 during the team’s 73-60 defeat to Northwestern in Evanston. Despite coming off the bench against the Wildcats, the freshman had managed to hold on to the starting point guard job at Illinois.

On January 6, Clark announced on social media that he would be stepping away from basketball for the time being due to personal reasons. Clark made it clear that he would be leaving the team temporarily, and he had not taken the floor for the Illini since the announcement.

Despite stepping away from the program, Clark did not leave the University and instead left things open-ended with no timetable given for his return. However, it is now looking like the freshman’s time with the Illini is coming to a more definitive end.

The Los Angeles native averaged seven points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game during his short tenure in Champaign. Clark scored a career-high 19 points against Lindenwood on November 25 and started in all but one of his appearances for Illinois.

Clark will visit Louisville per an update from Tipton on March 13.

Three days later on March 16, Clark announced his commitment to the Cardinals on Twitter.

“Today I am excited to announce my commitment to the University of Louisville,” Clark wrote. “I am ready to play for Coach Kenny Payne and the city of Louisville. The time is now to chase my dream with Coach KP and staff but even bigger than that, the dream for Louisville Basketball!”

@james_kim15