Illinois drops 2 of 3 in conference opening series against Nebraska

By Adam Rosen, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois traveled through hundreds of miles worth of corn to get to Lincoln, Nebraska, as they opened up conference play.

Their opponents, the Nebraska Cornhuskers, boast a top-tier offense in the Big Ten.
Both offenses are filled with talent; however, Nebraska would show off its high-powered lineup early on. The Huskers were already up 5-3 in the third inning, getting to Riley Gowens early.

Senior third baseman Branden Comia reached closer to history though. With his RBI single in the third, Comia extended his on-base streak to 58 straight games. Comia is now within five games of tying his fellow teammate’s, senior
outfielder Cam McDonald’s, program record of 63 straight.

However, the game continued to go in favor of the Huskers, as they won the game 8-4. Illinois’ offense could not keep pace.

In game two, Nebraska once again jumped out to a big lead, putting up three in the first inning. However, junior first baseman Drake Westcott got one of those runs back on his seventh home run of the year.

Comia also went yard as the Illini pulled within one run in the third inning. After Nebraska added a run, McDonald did the usual, driving in a run to pull Illinois within one run. The Illini, however, could not hold the bats of Nebraska down much longer, as in the seventh, the Huskers erupted for a trio of runs, making it a 7-3 ballgame.

The Huskers added another run before shutting down the Illini bats in the ninth, winning 8-3 and putting the Illini in line to be swept.

Looking to avoid a sweep, junior righthander Jack Wenninger took the mound for his sixth start of the season. The Cary native also looked to avoid his fourth straight loss on the mound.

Comia got things started early, extending his on-base streak to 60 games with a first inning long ball. The Illini continued to drive in runs, going up 6-0 in the second inning.

Despite some Nebraska comeback efforts, the Illini held strong. The Illini were up 10-6 going into the ninth inning, where transfer righty T.J. Constertina looked to close out an Illini win, which he did. The Illini won 10-7, avoiding the sweep against Nebraska.

Head coach Dan Hartleb praised Constertina for his ability to come out of the bullpen and consistently get outs when the team needs them.

“I thought (Constertina) had good composure and gave us a chance to win,” Hartleb said. “That’s why he came to Illinois, to be in those situations. He’s composed in those situations, and I think it’s something he enjoys.”

Additionally, this win slotted head coach Dan Hartleb in a tie for the most wins in program history as a coach, with Lee Eilbracht also having 518 wins. A win in their next game, a single series matchup with the Southeastern Conference’s Missouri Tigers, would get Hartleb to the historical mark.

The Illini will face the Tigers on Tuesday in Sauget, Illinois, for a neutral site matchup.

@arrosen76