Dan Hartleb swings for Illinois program record

Jacob Slabosz

Head baseball coach Dan Hartleb leaves the dugout to walk to the bullpen in the middle of the fourth inning during the game against Michigan on Saturday, Apr. 1. Hartleb broke the program record for wins (519) the following day.

By Adam Rosen, Assistant Sports Editor

Thirty-three years or 12,045 days — no matter how people choose to describe it, that’s a long time. If you ask any of the players on the Illini roster what they were doing in 1990, they’d all say the same thing: “I wasn’t even born yet.”

For head coach Dan Hartleb, he would say he was getting ready for his first season on the Illini coaching staff. But 15 years after, he would’ve said he was ready for his first season as head coach of Illinois baseball.

“I was a graduate assistant for Itch Jones at Southern Illinois,” Hartleb said. “He got the job up here, and I was fortunate that he asked me to be a part of his staff.”

Itch Jones is the third winningest coach in Illinois program history. Without him, Hartleb believes he “wouldn’t be where he is now.”

“I was young and very inexperienced,” Hartleb said. “I was 24 at the time and he gave me that opportunity. I’m so very blessed with the opportunity to be in Division I baseball for the start of my career.”

Hartleb took the Illini reins from Jones in 2005, after the former coach retired. Hartleb surpassed his mentor in 2021 with his 475th win. Win No. 500 came in 2022.

“Itch really took care of me,” Hartleb said. “Not only to hire me, but then he retired and told me I have the opportunity to be the head coach here (at Illinois).”

In his 18th season as the head coach of the Illini, Hartleb has seen plenty. But now, he seeks history. Dan Hartleb is looking for his 519th win as Illinois’ head coach, which would be the all-time record for wins in program history. At 518 wins, Hartleb is as close as possible. (UPDATE: Hartleb earned his program record 519th shortly following this article.)

“It will be an honor when we get there,” Hartleb said. “I’ve been fortunate to be here for a long time.”

Under Hartleb, the Illini have experienced success that the program had never seen before. Illinois has appeared in four NCAA tournaments during his tenure. The Illini have won nearly 60% of their games under Hartleb.

The Illini had their best season in history in 2015 under Hartleb’s leadership. The Illini won 50 games overall, going 21-1 in conference play and making it to the NCAA Super Regional. Hartleb spoke about his thoughts during his beginnings.

“I don’t think you ever go into a job thinking it’s forever,” Hartleb said. “Back at that time, young and dumb basically, things have just worked in my favor.”

Hartleb repeatedly spoke of the impact that Jones had on him. The opportunities Hartleb was given by Jones stick with him to this day.

“Being able to play for him as a player,” Hartleb said. “The opportunity he gave me to be a grad assistant, he just took care of me my entire career. Without him, I would not be in this position.”

Hartleb’s teams have only finished with a record below .500 once in the 17 full seasons he’s coached the Illini. The Illini will look to get him that record-breaking win, and once they do, it will be a moment that’s been in the making for well over three decades for the legendary coach.

But to Hartleb, it’s not just about him, it’s about those around him.

“I’ve been very fortunate that we’ve had great players and great coaches,” Hartleb said. “It’s about everybody. I’m fortunate to be in a position where you get credit for stuff, but there are so many people involved.”

@arrosen76