Illinois football adds OL Zafir Stewart to 2024 recruiting class

By Adam Rosen, Summer Editor

Illinois continued its stellar stretch with another commitment, coming after prospects had their official visits over the weekend. The Illini added three-star offensive lineman Zafir Stewart to their 2024 recruiting class, which has already reached nine total players, and stands as the No. 43 ranked class in the nation according to 247Sports.

Stewart is a six-foot-four 320-pound interior lineman from Philadelphia and is the No. 27 recruit in the state of Pennsylvania. Among all IOL recruits, Stewart is No. 78 according to 247Sports.

Stewart announced his decision on Twitter.

The Imhotep Institute student-athlete had offers from four Big Ten programs other than Illinois and an offer from the Southeastern Conference’s Ole Miss Rebels.

Stewart is one of two offensive linemen to commit to Illinois for the 2024 class, along with Mundelein’s Brandon Hansen. Offensive line coach Bart Miller was the key to recruiting Stewart and has been essential in building up an offensive line that was dominant a year ago.

Illinoisattention to the offensive line has been noteworthy, and it should not come as a shock. Only one coach has produced more NFL draftees on the offensive line than Bret Bielema dating back to 2006, the legendary Alabama coach Nick Saban.

@arrosen76