Illinois football welcomes in-state 2024 tight end

By Adam Rosen, Summer Editor

Illinois added another in-state recruit on June 21, the 10th commitment to join the Class of 2024. Karsen Konkel from Pinckneyville is the No. 18 ranked prospect in Illinois and No. 43 overall tight end in the nation according to 247Sports.

Konkel announced his decision via Twitter. The two-sport athlete is listed as a three-star tight end and is the fourth player from in-state to commit to playing for Bret Bielema in Champaign-Urbana.

The Illini have been adamant about winning the recruitment battle in their state, and they have landed several top prospects in the central and southern regions of Illinois.

The 6-foot-6 tight end had offers from a pair of Big Ten teams, Michigan State and Indiana, along with another in-state school, Northern Illinois.

Konkel was a running back and outside linebacker but possesses the unique ability to block and be difficult to guard as a pass catcher, making him an ideal tight end.

Offensively, Konkel racked up 198 total yards, according to MaxPreps. Defensively he totaled three tackles for loss and 21 tackles in total.

@arrosen76