Illinois football lands 2024 defensive back recruit

By Adam Rosen, Summer Editor

Illinois has been active during the summer with recruiting for the 2024 football season, and that has not stopped. The Illini were able to flip a recruit from their Big Ten West rivals, the Wisconsin Badgers.

Defensive back Vernon Woodward announced his decision to commit to Illinois via his Twitter page. Although the Winter Park, Florida native had verbally pledged his services to Wisconsin, he ultimately selected Illinois.

Woodward had offers from multiple Big Ten programs such as Purdue, Maryland and Indiana. The 11th player to commit to Illinois’ 2024 class, he is the eighth since the program’s official visit weekend on June 9-11. As a junior in high school, Woodward racked up 57 tackles, a pair of pass deflections and three forced fumbles, according to MaxPreps.

A three-star recruit, according to 247Sports, Woodward is the No. 65 ranked corner in the Class of 2024 and No. 83 player in Florida.

The Illini will have to wait a year for his services, but will certainly be happy to acquire another secondary member after losing multiple starters to the NFL draft this year.

@arrosen76