Illinois baseball thrashes Missouri in annual Braggin’ Rights matchup

Grad+student+Jacob+Schroeder+and+junior+Camden+Janik+celebrate+Jacob%E2%80%99s+home+run+at+the+end+of+the+game+against+Eastern+Illinois+on+Feb.+28.+
Olivia McAfoos
Grad student Jacob Schroeder and junior Camden Janik celebrate Jacob’s home run at the end of the game against Eastern Illinois on Feb. 28.

Illinois (11-12) traveled to Sauget, Illinois, for the annual Braggin’ Rights game against its SEC rival Missouri in the only scheduled game between the programs this season. The Illini entered the standalone game off a stellar Big Ten opening series win over the Indiana Hoosiers, taking two out of three and outscoring them 25-17.

The Tigers were also defeated in their last outing at the hands of the No. 25 Kentucky Wildcats. However, Missouri came into the series leading the all-time matchup 16-14-1, with a 10-4 record against Illinois in neutral site contests. However, the Illini took home the win in an 11-3 blowout over their rival Tigers.

Illinois started the scoring early, with a run in the first inning off the bat of junior catcher Camden Janik, driving in freshman outfielder Cameron Chee-Aloy for a 1-0 lead. Missouri followed up with a solo shot in the bottom half to tie it, but it was all Illinois from then on.

The Illini scored two runs in the second and three in the third. The third-inning runs came off a long home run from junior infielder Ryan Moerman, after a pair of walks by redshirt junior first baseman Drake Westcott and junior infielder Vytas Valincius. However, the story of the first few innings was senior right-hander Jake Rons on the bump for the Illini.

During the game, SEC Network panned to head coach Dan Hartleb for a midgame interview. Hartleb expressed his pleasure with Rons’ performance.

“He’s looked really good today,” Hartleb said during the fourth inning of the broadcast. “I’m really pleased with him today.”

As the game reached the middle innings, Illinois maintained a 6-1 advantage as Rons finished his day with a line of four innings pitched, three hits, seven punchouts and just one run allowed. The Tigers added a run after Rons’ day ended, but the Illini quickly responded with a few runs of their own. Westcott hit a home run to left, giving them a 9-2 lead in the sixth inning.

The Tigers threatened in the bottom half of the sixth, loading the bases with nobody out. However, the Illini pitching held strong, getting out of the jam unscathed with their 9-2 lead intact. Illinois added another pair of runs in the seventh inning to make it an 11-2 lead.

Illinois’ pitching held strong the rest of the evening, allowing just 10 players to reach base safely. The defense had its troubles, with a pair of errors, but the Illini pitchers were unphased, striking out 13 batters throughout the three-hour game. The Tigers scored a run on a wild pitch in the ninth, but that was all.

The Illini took the win back to Champaign, winning their annual Braggin’ Rights matchup. Illinois is back in action over the weekend at Illinois Field, with the Penn State Nittany Lions coming to town for a three-game series.

@arrosen76