Former Illinois linebacker, Chicago Bears icon Dick Butkus dies at 80

Photo courtesy of the 1965 Illio Yearbook
Dick Butkus during a football game in 1965. On Thursday, the Bears confirmed the death of Butkus, who played for Illinois from 1962 to 1964 as a linebacker.

Dick Butkus, a prominent former Chicago Bears and Illini football player, died this afternoon at the age of 80. The Bears confirmed the news to ABC7 Chicago.

The former Illini linebacker was born in Chicago and attended the University from 1962 to 1964, becoming one of the most successful players in the programʼs history.

Following his tenure playing for the Illini, Butkus was drafted in 1965 by both the Bears in the NFL draft and the Broncos in the AFL draft. The Chicago native ultimately chose to play for the Bears.

The linebacker played for his hometown professional football team until 1973, during which time he was a five-time All-Pro, two-time Defensive Player of the Year and eight-time Pro Bowler.

The statue of Dick Butkus located outside of the Henry Dale and Betty Smith Football Performance Center. (Matt Stepp)

Butkus’ No. 50 jersey was retired by the Illini in 1986 and the player was inducted into the Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame in 2017.

Butkus’ page on the Pro Football Hall of Fame website described him as “a man who by his own admission played every game as though it were his last one.”

Bears Chairman George McCaskey released a statement following Butkusʼ death on behalf of the team at 5:46 p.m.

“Dick was the ultimate Bear, and one of the greatest players in NFL history,” McCaskey wrote. “He was Chicagoʼs son.”

The Bears will face the Washington Commanders at 7:15 p.m. tonight.