Illinois men’s golf eyes glory in spring season

Illini+competes+in+the+2023+Spring+Collegiate+during+a+cold+windy+day+on+Apr.+22.+
James Hoeck
Illini competes in the 2023 Spring Collegiate during a cold windy day on Apr. 22.

As the winter frost begins to thaw, Illinois men’s golf will return to the home greens. The Illini, under the seasoned guidance of head coach Mike Small, look to make a significant impact in the spring 2024 season, building on a fall season that was as challenging as it was rewarding.

Last fall was a testament to the team’s resilience. Amid fluctuating performances, there were glimpses of brilliance that cannot be ignored. Standout moments include an impressive team victory at the Sahalee Players Championship and a commendable second-place finish at the Flyer Invitational.

These highs were, however, balanced with some unexpected lows, particularly in tournaments where the Illini have traditionally dominated. A 10th-place finish in their home tournament at Olympia Fields was subpar, coupled with Illinois capping off the fall campaign with a disappointing seventh-place result in Pebble Beach.

One of the team’s bright spots has been the emergence of sophomore Ryan Voois. Voois played a huge role in Illinois’ second-place finish at the Flyer Invitational, where he carded back-to-back 68s to uplift a team that struggled early on. His tied-for-fourth finish in the individual standings at Dayton is something Voois hopes to build off of this upcoming season.

Fifth-year senior Timmy Crawford, a graduate transfer from Loyola Chicago, continues to be a pillar for the team. Crawford’s experience and poise under pressure have been invaluable, especially in guiding the younger players through the highs and lows of collegiate golf. His expertise was displayed during his first-place finish at the Flyer Invitational, where Crawford dominated from the first tee box, taking a commanding seven-stroke lead after 36 holes. Crawford and the Illini will need this type of play not only from Crawford but also from the rest of the team.

Junior Jackson Buchanan and fifth-year senior Jerry Ji further bolster the team’s depth, both of whom have shown they can compete at the highest level. Buchanan’s aggressive play style and Ji’s strategic approach to the game complement each other well, making them formidable opponents in team play.

Small, a legend in collegiate golf, is known for his ability to get the best out of his players — so much so that he earned himself a significant six-year extension this past offseason. Under Small, the Illini have won 13 of the last 14 Big Ten titles, consistently growing each year. Small and the Illini closed out last Spring as the No. 1 ranked team in the Golfstat national rankings and hope to repeat the same feat this upcoming spring.

The spring schedule looks challenging but promising. Illinois is set to participate in prestigious tournaments such as the Southern Highlands Collegiate and the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational. The Southern Highlands Collegiate will be crucial in setting the tone for the season and testing the team’s readiness for the NCAA championships.

As the season progresses, all eyes will be on the Illinois men’s golf. With the mix of young talent and experienced leadership, it’s hard to overstate how much success could come their way. The question on everyone’s mind is whether this spring will be the season they not only meet but exceed expectations, solidifying their place as one of the top collegiate golf teams in the nation.

With the first tee-off at the Hal Williams Collegiate just weeks away, the Illini are more than just hopeful; they are ready to make a statement. The journey to the top is never easy, but for the Illinois men’s golf team, the path is clear and the goal is in sight. 

@Jordan_Goodhart