No. 18 Illinois men’s golf sets sights on Big Ten championship in Columbus

No. 18 Illinois men’s golf, fresh off a victory at the Fighting Illini Spring Collegiate, is poised to continue their dominant streak at the 2024 Big Ten championship. 

The prestigious tournament is set to unfold from April 26-28 at the historic Scioto Country Club in Columbus, Ohio, a course that demands precision and strategic play.

The Illini, led by head coach Mike Small, are in pursuit of their ninth-consecutive conference title and their 21st overall. The team’s recent victory in their last regular-season event has them riding a wave of momentum as they face a competitive lineup that includes all 14 Big Ten men’s golf programs.

Scioto Country Club, known for its challenging par 70 layout stretching 7,240 yards, is steeped in golf history. Designed by the legendary Donald Ross and has hosted multiple major championships, the course is a fitting arena for the Big Ten’s top golfers. This year marks the return of the Big Ten championship to Scioto for the first time since 1928, adding an extra layer of historical significance to the event.

Illinois will lean on a strong lineup led by sophomore Ryan Voois, who claimed his first collegiate victory at the Fighting Illini Spring Collegiate. He is joined by freshman Max Herendeen and junior Jackson Buchanan, both of whom have shown promise and consistency throughout the season. Freshman Ethan Wilson and senior Piercen Hunt round out the top five, with fifth-year senior Timmy Crawford serving as the team’s alternate.

Among the returning players, Hunt and Buchanan bring valuable championship experience, having both played key roles in previous Big Ten tournaments. Buchanan in particular, has been impressive, tying for fifth in last year’s rain-shortened event.

The 54-hole tournament will challenge teams over three days, with the low four scores of each round counting towards the team score. The field features five top-50 ranked teams, including Purdue and host Ohio State, making the competition fierce as Illinois aims to defend its title against formidable Big Ten rivals.

As the Illini prepare to tee off at Scioto, the focus is not just on defending their title but on continuing a legacy of excellence that has defined Illinois men’s golf under Small’s tenure. With a blend of young talent and experienced players, Illinois is a team capable of adapting to the pressures of a high-stakes tournament.

As the tournament approaches, the Illini will try for another title, but they are also aiming to cement their place in Big Ten history, proving once again why they are one of the elite programs in collegiate golf. With a mix of recent success, seasoned leadership and promising new talent, Illinois is poised for what could be another memorable chapter in its storied golf legacy.

@Jordan_Goodhart