No. 18 Illinois men’s golf clinches title at Fighting Illini Spring Collegiate

James Hoeck
The Illini compete in the Spring Collegiate during a cold windy day, April 2023.

Illinois men’s golf concluded its 2023-24 regular season on a high note, securing the team title at the Fighting Illini Spring Collegiate. Hosted at the University of Illinois’ Atkins Golf Club, No. 18-ranked Illini showcased their depth and resilience, as they defended their title with poise over the weekend.

Sophomore Ryan Voois, a standout performer throughout the tournament, captured his first collegiate victory. Despite challenging wind conditions, Voois led the team with a remarkable opening round of 64 a tournament record. His consistent play over three rounds (64, 76, 72) earned him a top finish at 212, one stroke under par.

The Illini excelled as a whole, posting rounds of 281, 291 and 292 to finish with a collective score of 864, 12 strokes over par. This score solidified their victory in a field of strong Big Ten competitors and other top regional programs.

Freshman Max Herendeen tied for third overall, showcasing his potential to be one of the best collegiate golfers in the near future, with scores of 69, 71 and 74, culminating in a total of 214, just over par.

Team veterans also contributed significantly to the win. Junior Jackson Buchanan, fifth-year senior Timmy Crawford and senior Piercen Hunt each tied for seventh place, demonstrating the team’s depth. Their final scores of 217, four strokes over par, were pivotal in maintaining Illinois’ lead.

The tournament unfolded over two days at the scenic Atkins Golf Club, a par 71 course that stretches over 7,503 yards. The course, known for its challenging layout and meticulously designed features, provided a tough test for the 12-team field. Illinois’ experience on their home course proved strong as they navigated its complexities with strategic play.

The field included several notable Big Ten rivals. Northwestern, last year’s runner-up, finished second again, 14 strokes behind Illinois. Michigan and Michigan State shared third place, highlighting the competitive nature of the event.

With this victory, the Illini not only celebrated their second consecutive win at the Spring Collegiate but also set a strong precedent as they head into the postseason. Momentum is key at this time of the year, and the 18th-ranked team in the country is riding a wave of momentum into the postseason. 

The Illini will compete next at the 2024 Big Ten men’s golf championship, scheduled for April 26-28 at the Scioto Country Club in Columbus, Ohio. They aim to capture their ninth consecutive conference title and further their storied legacy in collegiate golf.

@Jordan_Goodhart