No. 16 Illinois men’s golf unable to repeat, finishes fifth in Vegas

Following a victory in the Hal Williams Collegiate, the Illini scratched out another top-five finish in the Southern Highlands Collegiate in Las Vegas. 

Despite not being able to go back-to-back, Illinois remains one of the hottest teams in the country. The Illini shot a respectable team total of 280 in round one but were met with adversity in round two, shooting a team total of 302. 

The story of the Southern Highlands Collegiate was about the treacherous conditions in round two. With massive gusts of wind rolling in later in the day, Illinois struggled to adapt around the greens, putting them in a tough T6 position heading into the final round. 

Illinois opened the tournament just as it left off two weeks ago, shooting an 8-under first round, good enough for a tied-for-second position heading into round two. Fifth-year Tyler Goecke led the Illini from the opening tee shot, posting a 5-under 67 in the first round. 

Not only was Goecke great in round one, but he led the Illini all tournament, finishing T12 in the overall individual standings. Not even Goecke was immune to the brutal round two conditions, as he shot a 76, nine strokes worse than his first round. Goecke settled in for a solid 72 in the final round.

Goecke wasn’t alone, as freshman standout Max Herendeen showed up for the Illini as well. A 69-76-71 (-1) tournament put Herendeen in the top 15 alongside Goecke. Herendeen was in a tie for T22 going into the final round, but a 1-under 71 put him at T15 when things were all said and done. 

After having seven golfers finish in the top 20 at the Hal Williams Collegiate, Illinois finished with just two golfers in the top 20 this go around. Junior Jackson Buchanan had a respectable tournament finishing just outside of the top 20, tying for T21. Buchanan couldn’t break 70 in his three rounds but consistently got better as the tournament went on. After a 75 in round one, Buchanan was one of the few golfers who was able to improve in round two, shooting a respectable 73. The final round is where Buchanan made his push, shooting his best round of the week, a 70. 

Illinois men’s golf is back in action on March 11 at St. Simons Island, Georgia, at The Johnnie-O at Sea Island tournament. Illinois will be playing at the gorgeous Sea Island Golf Club Plantation Course. 

@Jordan_Goodhart