No. 21 Illinois men’s golf heads northwest for 34th annual Duck Invitational

Illinois will take on the field in Eugene, looking to get its first team title since the Hal Williams Collegiate in early February.

Hosted by future Big Ten rival Oregon at the Eugene Country Club, the par-71 course is known for its scenic views and natural setting. However, the Illini must look past that and dial in against a crowded field.

Fifteen programs are competing for the crown at the Duck Invitational, with Illinois being ranked the highest, according to the NCAA Division 1 team rankings. Eleven of those 15 programs are ranked in the top 65, including the likes of No. 24 Oregon, No. 30 Oklahoma State, No. 39 Loyola Marymount, No. 41 Northwestern, No. 46 Fresno State, No. 53 San Jose State, No. 54 Oregon State, No. 58 Colorado, No. 63 Grand Canyon, No. 64 Colorado State, No. 89 Utah, No. 106 Cal Poly, No. 117 UTEP and No. 171 Boise State.

Despite being the highest-ranked program in the field, Illinois may be seen as underdogs heading into this tournament, as it is the program’s first appearance at the Duck Invitational in the tournament’s 34-year history.  

The Illini have been successful in the Pacific Northwest this season as they return to the region for the first time since September, where they won the team title at the Sahalee Players Championship in Washington. 

Illinois fields a lineup of fifth-year Tyler Goecke, freshmen Max Herendeen and Ethan Wilson, sophomore Ryan Voois and junior Jackson Buchanan. 

In the fall, Herendeen and Buchanan were at their best, with the freshman averaging just 70.27 strokes per 18 holes and Buchanan just above that at 70.45. 

Goecke is one golfer who has transformed their game since the new year. Despite a fall that saw the fifth-year senior struggle to put up his best numbers, it has been a different story this spring. 

Goecke has been on an exceptional run, posting a 70.67 stroke average per 18 holes this spring, much better than the 73.09 in the fall. Goecke is coming off one of his best individual performances of the season, where he finished T14 at the Johnnie-O at Sea Island. 

The 54-hole tournament will be a five-count-four format played over two days, with 36 holes set for Monday and is followed by Tuesday’s final round. 

@Jordan_Goodhart