Illinois men’s golf shines bright in Eugene, claims team title at Duck Invitational

Illinois men’s golf kept its red-hot spring season rolling as it finished atop the leaderboard in Eugene, Oregon. Despite traveling across the country, Illinois did not miss a beat, finishing as the only team under par after three rounds.

With gloomy and rainy conditions, low scores were hard to come by for every program, including the Illini. Illinois posted a disappointing 294 in round one, leaving it in a tie for 10th heading into the penultimate round.

Despite the poor start, the Illini rallied behind junior Jackson Buchanan and freshmen Max Herendeen and Ethan Wilson. Illinois posted a tournament-best 278 in rounds two and three, with the next best round all tournament being a 281 from Colorado State.

Buchanan secured the individual title, posting a 73-67-67 split in the three rounds. His 207 total was three strokes better than Utah senior Javier Barcos, who carded a 210. Buchanan’s improvement following a lackluster round one is consistent with the team’s success, showing his pivotal role in the come-from-behind win for the Illini.

However, Buchanan was not the only Illini in the top 10 for the individual standings, as he was joined by Herendeen and Wilson. Herendeen finished in sole possession of seventh place, shooting a stroke total of 213. Wilson finished tied for eighth posting a 214. Herendeen and Wilson have been bright spots for the future of the Illini, improving in every tournament they play.

Not only did Buchanan, Herendeen and Wilson show out for the Illini, but sophomore Ryan Voois and fifth-year Tyler Goecke played well, taking big roles in the team victory.

Voois led the charge in round two, shooting his best round of the tournament, a one-under 70. Voois and Goecke both finished in the top 40 of the individual standings, with Voois in a T-31 and Goecke in a T-38.

The Illini were able to overcome a brutal round one by posting a 6-under second round, putting them at a tie atop the leaderboard heading into the final round. Following Monday’s rounds, Illinois found itself knotted up with future Big Ten foe, Oregon, at +4.

All signs pointed towards an exciting round three, filled with back-and-forth action between the two top-25 programs. However, the Illini dominated Tuesday’s round, posting their second 278 in a row, putting all hope to rest for the Ducks.

Buchanan and Herendeen led the final round charge with each of them carding a tournament-best 67. While Oregon shot a respectable 285 (+1), Illinois’ dominant final-round performance was just too much.

On the cusp of the Big Ten tournament, the Illini are playing some of their best golf of the season at just the right time. Illinois will look to continue this success as it heads south in early April.

Illinois men’s golf returns to action in April, as it travels to Augusta, Georgia, for the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational. Hosted by Augusta University at Forest Hills Golf Club, the event takes place from April 6-7, finishing just before the Masters takes over Augusta.

@Jordan_Goodhart