No. 17 Illinois men’s golf travels to Georgia for Augusta Haskins Award Invitational

Jack Larson
Senior Piercen Hunt reads the break of the green on hole five of the University of Illini Golf Course during the 2023 Spring Colligate.

Just one week ahead of the Masters Tournament, Illinois headed to Augusta, Georgia for the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational. Coming off a victorious performance at the Duck Invitational in Eugene, Illinois is riding a wave of confidence into one of the season’s final tests.

As the 2023-24 collegiate golf season nears its conclusion, the 17th-ranked Illinois men’s golf team is set to showcase its talent at the prestigious Augusta Haskins Award Invitational. The tournament will unfold on Saturday and Sunday at the Forest Hills Golf Club.

The invitational is not just another event on the calendar. Augusta, a town synonymous with golf lore, boasts a par-72 course stretching over 7,086 yards. Forest Hills is not only a challenge for golfers but also a piece of golf history. 

Originally crafted by the legendary Donald Ross and later refined by the Arnold Palmer company, the course represents a blend of traditional and modern golf design. Its fairways are a testament to the game’s appeal, making it a fitting host for collegiate competition.

This year’s tournament, co-hosted by the Augusta Golf Association and the Haskins Foundation, promises intense competition over a 54-hole, five-count-four format. The action-packed weekend will begin with a shotgun start, ensuring excitement from the very beginning.

The Illini are part of a 15-team field that reads like a who’s who of collegiate golf. The lineup features eight of the top 50 teams in the nation, including powerhouse programs such as North Carolina, Oklahoma and Texas alongside the host institution, Augusta University. The diverse field guarantees that every shot will count in the quest for the title.

Illinois will lean on a talented lineup led by junior Jackson Buchanan, a recent medalist at the Duck Invitational. Buchanan, along with freshmen Max Herendeen and Ethan Wilson, sophomore Ryan Voois and fifth-year Tyler Goecke, form a more-than-capable team of taking on the challenges posed by Forest Hills. Buchanan enters the tournament with momentum, having demonstrated remarkable resilience and skill to secure his latest victory.

The Illini are no strangers to the invitational: Their history in the event includes two team victories and a number of strong individual performances, notably by former Illini Dylan Meyer. The experience of Buchanan and Voois, who have both previously competed in Augusta, will be invaluable to the team’s ambitions.

Adding an extra layer of excitement to the event is the reward for the individual champion: an exemption into the 2025 PGA TOUR Valspar Championship. This opportunity underscores the tournament’s significance and offers a potential launchpad for collegiate golfers’ professional careers.

As Illinois prepares for the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational, its focus is not just on the immediate challenge but also on the broader journey. From the team’s consistent performance throughout the season to individual accolades like Buchanan’s Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors, the Illini have proven themselves as a top program in the nation.

With a blend of experience, talent and recent success, the Illini head into Augusta poised for another standout performance and aim to add another prestigious title to their already impressive season.

@Jordan_Goodhart