Illinois men’s golf makes strong showing, finishes fourth at Augusta Haskins Award Invitational

Jack Larson
Sophomore Ryan Voois hits a pitch shot onto the 18th green at Atkins Golf Club during the first round of the 2023 Fighting Illini Spring Collegiate.

No. 17 Illinois showcased its skills at the esteemed Augusta Haskins Award Invitational this weekend. The Illini, fresh off a victory at the Duck Invitational in Eugene, faced stiff competition and a challenging course at the Forest Hills Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.

The Illini entered the final day in a strong position thanks to a standout performance by junior Jackson Buchanan. Buchanan, coming off a win at the Duck Invitational, maintained his excellent form by carding the lowest individual score in Round 2, securing his place as the 36-hole leader.

Coach Mike Smalls team finished the first day in fifth place, thanks to Buchanans 8-under through 12 holes in Round 2, wrapping up the day 6-under.

The Illini also saw promising play from freshman Max Herendeen and sophomore Ryan Voois, who improved their scores in the second round. Herendeen and Voois ended the first day tied for 17th and 21st respectively, keeping the Illinis hopes alive with their steady play. 

The second days performance solidified Illinois position as a force to be reckoned with. Buchanans command on the course continued, displaying the resilience and skill that has become synonymous with his play. The rest of the Illini lineup followed suit, holding their ground amidst a field of top contenders.

Despite the fierce competition from powerhouse programs like North Carolina, Texas and host Augusta University, Illinois remained focused. The team entered the final round 14 strokes behind the leader, North Carolina, but only four shots off from second place.

With the final round set to begin early Sunday morning, the Illini teed off with determination. The stakes were high, not only for team honors but also for the individual players, with the tournament champion receiving an exemption into the 2025 PGA TOUR Valspar Championship.

The Illinis journey to Augusta was not just about this tournament; it was a continuation of a season demonstrating their status as a leading program. With the Big Ten tournament on the horizon, the teams performance in Augusta is a promising indicator of their potential for continued success.

As the final putts were made and the scores tallied, Illinoiscampaign at the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational ended with a fourth-place finish. Although they didnt claim the top spot, its something to build on moving forward. Coach Smalls experienced team, led by Buchanans stellar play, once again proved their mettle.

Illinois will close out the regular season with the Fighting Illini Spring Collegiate, April 22-23. The Fighting Illini Spring Collegiate will be held at the programs championship-caliber Atkins Golf Club at the University of Illinois. 

@Jordan_Goodhart