Season-high mark carries No. 5 Illinois men’s gymnastics to 3 wins in Florida

No. 5 Illinois men’s gymnastics leaves Florida after securing wins over Simpson, Florida Alliance and Georgia United. The Illini competed at the 2024 EVO Elite Collegiate Open, where they scored a season-high total of 416.150 and swept the event titles. Florida Alliance (201.950), Georgia United (288.000) and Simpson (366.100) were well behind Illinois, making for some of its biggest victories all year. Three wins at this meet pushed Illinois’ record to 9-1, who have not lost since placing second at the Windy City Invitational.

The 2024 EVO Collegiate Open also featured the U.S. Senior National team, who were the only competitors to score more points than the Illini (416.250). However, their results do not go towards records or titles for the Illini. Former Illini Alex Diab was competing with the U.S. Senior National team. 

Graduate Connor McCool was the highest scorer on the floor with a mark of 14.600, just 0.100 points behind Shane Wiskus, a member of the 2020 Olympic team.  Junior Amari Sewell was the event winner on the vault with a score of 14.850 and was also only 0.100 points away from Wiskus. Senior Ashton Anaya earned a new career-high on the still rings with an impressive score of 14.850 with senior Sebastian Ingersoll not far behind (13.900).

On the bars, the Illini saw impressive scores on both the high bar and the parallel bar. Sophomore Ryan Vanichtheeranont dominated on the high bar and won another event title for Illinois (14.250) with sophomore Tate Costa not far behind (13.900). Senior Will Hauke added a fourth event title to Illinois’ name by scoring 14.000 on the parallel bar.

Illinois’ success carried over to pommel horse as well, where freshman Brandon Dang was the overall highest score (14.950) and junior Max Farkhadau scored a career-high (14.600).

To wrap up Illinois’ event title sweep, Costa scored 80.850 in the all-around competition. It has been an exciting stretch for Costa, whose event win builds on being Illinois’ Scholar-Athlete of the Week and Big Ten Gymnast of the Week last week. Costa mentioned that he never doubts the team and that he is confident in the Illini no matter what. 

“I always say we have a chance,” Costa said. “I’m pretty confident in us.”

Illinois men’s gymnastics is heading into a two-week break but will be back to compete at the Winter Cup on Feb. 23 in Louisville, Kentucky. McCool, Costa, Dang and freshman Vahe Petrosyan will be competing for a chance to be on the U.S. national team at the Winter Cup.