Illinois hockey travels to Illinois State with winning streak on the line

Goalie+Ben+Mazurek+defends+as+the+puck+approaches+the+net+on+Oct.+27.+
Eric Chiang
Goalie Ben Mazurek defends as the puck approaches the net on Oct. 27.

Illinois hockey (6-5) is gearing up for a classic in-state rivalry series against Illinois State (7-7) this weekend. Riding a three-game winning streak, Illinois has the chance to make it five wins in a row after this weekend’s doubleheader. Illinois State, on the other hand, is looking into this weekend after dropping their two games this past weekend against the University of Jamestown.

“We have just been worrying about ourselves and our process, not worrying about the things out of our control,” said head coach John Opilka. “We just have to worry about ourselves and look at our plan and execute that.”

After winning both their games against Roosevelt University, Illinois has completely flipped its record on its head and is looking to keep the number growing. Sophomore left wingman Gregory Etingen, who is the team’s leading point scorer (13), scored a hat trick in the last game. This increased his total goals scored this season to six, and Etingen made sure to credit his teammates for their role in setting him up all season.

“It is not just me,” Etingen said. “It is a good measurement for the entire team, I got guys passing the puck around and great line chemistry.”

For Etingen, it is all about consistency and not letting any of the success start to become blinding. This mindset has begun to right the ship as the Illini continue to gather momentum.

“There is no better feeling in hockey or competitive sports than winning,” Etingen said.

Winning is something that Illinois is looking to continue doing as they enter a big game. In-state rivalry is always something to look forward to, the game that is circled on the calendar by both teams. In their last meeting last season, Illinois State won both games, a harrowing streak that extends into the previous season as well. The Illini look to change the script on that this year, as this has been one of their best starts over the last couple of years. 

“There is definitely an intensity this weekend,” Opilka said. “Our guys get up for these types of games it has a little extra motivation and emotion for these games.”

The Redbirds are led by top goal scorers senior forward Tony Campise and senior forward Ethan Chesney, who both have already scored eight goals this season. While also assisting on at least five goals scored, they seem to be on par with the Illini team in the stat column.

The Illini look to keep the same mindset and block out any noise that comes across with the in-state rivalry game. The players had an intense week knowing the challenge that was waiting for them. With a successful weekend, the Illini seem to make sure to continue the winning ways. 

Senior goalie Ben Mazurek will still be out due to an MCL injury he sustained earlier this month, but his recovery process is moving positively, with him being back in pads and on the ice this week. Being back practicing on the ice with the team is a good sight for him and the Illini. Mazurek may be ready to make his return sooner than expected, but the exact timetable for when he will come back is yet to be determined. 

With Mazurek out, that means junior goalie Nolan Woodring will be tasked with protecting the Illini net. Woodring comes off a busy weekend where he saved over 70 shots attempted in the Roosevelt series. He held his own, only allowing six to get past him. Opilka says that Woodring is ready to step in once again, and he is proud of Woodring for how he has been preparing for this weekend.

Illinois will be on the road to go against Illinois State, both games being at Grossinger Motors Arena in Bloomington, Illinois. The first game will be on Friday at 7 p.m. and the second game will be on Sunday at 7 p.m. 

@Jon_Mathew23