Illinois hockey enters second half of 2023-24 season with clean slate

Eric Chiang
Junior Alexander Matveev fighting for the puck against Roosevelt on Oct. 27.

Illinois hockey is officially past the midway point in its season. After ending last season on a disappointing note, the team was ready to change things heading into the 2023-24 season.

“We focused a lot on the fundamentals and emphasizing making sure we play our style,” said head coach John Opilka.

With returning seniors coming back to play, things were shaping up for a strong season. Senior goalie Ben Mazurek was back and ready to go to defend the team’s goal. He was off to a great start, being ranked first in saves and save percentage in the first half of the season.

The Illini started their first four games of the season winning three out of the four games, already halfway in meeting last season’s final win total. They looked sharp already scoring 13 goals in that four-game stretch.

“I always tell the guys that get as many shots as you can on goal, it may not be pretty but the more shots you take one of them will go in,” Opilka said. “It may not be pretty but it gets the job done.”

The month of October saw Illinois hit its first roadblock of the year. It was a spooky month for the Illini as they started to slow down a bit in their games. They lost both of their meetings against Purdue Northwest followed by another loss to Iowa State, bringing them under .500. Ahead of its next matchup against Alabama the following week, the team was riding a four-game losing streak.

Illinois was able to find its way around the ice once again getting itself back in the win column against Roosevelt. By winning both of its games, it was able to make up some ground in the standings and regain a winning record.

Sophomore left wingman Gregory Etingen helped lead the team in the Roosevelt game, scoring a hat trick of goals in that series. Etingen has been a major piece to the team’s success, leading in goals scored (6) and points tallied (19). Etingen also leads the team in assists (13), helping others like senior center Alek Bogdonoff to score six goals and junior center Alexander Matveev to score five goals.

“It is not just me,” Etingen said. “It is a good measurement for the entire team. I got guys passing the puck around and great line chemistry.”

With the front three leading the team, they were able to find some success and won two more games before the second half of the season. It was enough to bring the Illini back to an even record with a 5-2 win over Purdue.

Recovering from injury is an important area for the program, as it lost multiple players to the injury report in November. With Mazurek also spending time away from the ice due to a knee injury, senior backup goalie Nolan Woodring took control and was able to step in and help out until Mazurek was able to come back a few weeks later.

Illinois’ second half of the schedule will see them face the same opponents that they went against earlier in the season. Heading into the new year, the team will look to start strong with games against Roosevelt, DePaul and Purdue Northwest in the month of January.

As they continue their season, the Illini will look to continue growing together as a team while finding success, continuing to play to their style and improving each day.

@Jon_Mathew23