Rematch series with Purdue Northwest lies on horizon for Illinois hockey

Matt Stepp
Junior defensemen Joe Dorion blocks the DePaul goaltender’s view in front of the net during the game against Depaul on Jan. 19.

After getting back into the win column against DePaul, Illinois hockey (9-9) is looking to pick up the pace this weekend in a doubleheader against a familiar opponent — Purdue Northwest (22-5). The Illini already account for two of the Pride’s 22 wins, as they were outscored 9-0 in an early October doubleheader.

Offensive dominance is nothing new to Purdue Northwest, who have scored 145 goals in 27 games into its season. The Pride have been one of the hottest teams across the nation and are currently on a 12-game win streak. Presently, Purdue Northwest is coming off a program record 18-0 win over Oakland and a weekend where it notches 26 total goals. Heading into this weekend, there seems to be no slowing down for the Pride.

“They are really good in capitalizing off turnovers, and playing in transition, getting the puck to their forwards and getting north to south real quick,” said head coach John Opilka. “We have to be stout defensively and try to make their guys as uncomfortable as we can.”

Purdue Northwest’s high pace and explosive shows up all over the stat sheet and Illinois’ experience last October was no different. The Illini got just 10 shots on goal compared to the Pride’s 22, which has been a point of emphasis for Opilka. Winning the shots on goal is a key piece that the team must obtain in order to have a good chance to win the game. 

“Ultimately, it comes down to playing the right way, playing the right way,” Opilka said. “Chipping pucks out, chipping pucks in, blocking shots, owning the blue lines and things like that.”

Despite splitting last weekend against DePaul, there are always things Illinois is striving to improve. The team is looking to clean up a lot of miscues that happened in their first weekend since Dec. 2, and it will be a tough task as they continue to shave off the winter break rust. 

“At this point in the season, we are looking to take steps in the areas to improve,” Opilka said. “As a coach, you can preach and harp on things as much as you want. But great teams’ players drive the bus. Unlike football, where you have to coach telling what play to run, in hockey, ultimately, it is the guys out there on the ice that determines the outcome. I can only prepare as much as I can so they can get the win.”

Illinois and Purdue Northwest are split-hosting this weekend’s doubleheader. The first game will be on Friday in Hammond, Indiana. The puck will drop at 7 p.m. to kick off game one before both squads head to the Ice Arena in Champaign for game two at 7 p.m. on Saturday. 

@Jon_Mathew23