Jack Roberts, Illini track & field shine at Meyo Invitational

Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics
Senior distance runner Jack Roberts competes during the Illini Challenge on Jan. 26.

Fifth-year senior Jack Roberts was one of just eight Illini to compete at the Meyo Invitational this past weekend, but he made the most of it.

Roberts won the 3,000-meter race with a personal-best time of 8:04.29, which also represents the fifth-best 3K in program history.

“The race went out a little slow, but I was in a really good spot — like fourth or fifth place,” Roberts said. “I just worked up the group until the end and was able to execute a good last couple laps.”

Roberts, a second-team All Big-Ten cross-country runner, attributed part of his success in the 3K to his position running the 1,600-meter leg of the distance medley relay, in which Roberts and the Illini currently have the 29th-best time in the nation.

“It’s just a much quicker tempo,” Roberts said of the distance medley. “It helps me, by running really fast there, to be a little more relaxed in the 3K.”

In addition to Roberts, six other Illini set personal bests at the meet, including all three entries in the 5,000-meter. 

Sophomore Alex Partlow finished fourth (14:25.27) in the 5K, junior Anthony Maida took fifth (14:27.02) and senior Evan Cummins finished 29th (14:56.73).

Senior William Merrick recorded a mile time of 4:01.26, representing not only his best but also the seventh-fastest mile in program history. Fellow senior Will O’Brien finished just 21 seconds behind Merrick in 11th place (4:22.68). 

Sophomore Brady Masters ran in the open mile, where he set a personal best of 4:09.97, good enough for a 13th-place finish.

The lone field athlete to compete was freshman Cody Johnston, who took fourth in the pole vault with a leap of 5.35 meters. Johnston’s mark is just one centimeter short of his current personal best.

The Illini are back in action this weekend at the Tiger Paw Invitational for one final tune-up before the Big Ten Indoor Championships. 

Roberts is likely not running at the upcoming meet, but that doesn’t mean that he is just going to kick his feet up and relax.

“Whatever the next meet is, we’re going to get a good week or two of training in and refine some of the details of racing,” Roberts said.

He pointed toward closing more quickly and getting through the tough middle part of distance races as things that he’s going to work on.

“We’re kind of at the point in the season where the bulk of the work is done,” Roberts said. “Now it’s just refining those parts as we prepare for the championship part of the season.”