Illinois women’s basketball comes out on top with 39-point victory over Central Connecticut State

The Illini (4-2) continued their five-game homestand on Wednesday evening with a 89-50 win over the Blue Devils. The team scored 50 points in the paint and made 11 steals overall, proving that its defense is not to be messed up.

Familiar faces made the starting five lineup once more. Senior guard Genesis Bryant, senior guard Makira Cook, junior guard Adalia McKenzie, junior forward Brynn Shoup-Hill and senior forward Kendall Bostic returned to the court to show the Blue Devils how it’s done.

Illinois won the tipoff and its first points soon came from Bostic in the paint. CCSU responded with a three-point shot, but momentum continued from Illinois with a steal by Cook.

The Illini’s defense started off strong with a full-court press and a steal by McKenzie to regain possession. The team looked connected, making successful passes and always getting the ball to Bostic underneath the rim. Head coach Shauna Green shouted, “energy!” from the sidelines, and the Illini continued to go on a 10-0 run to maintain the lead.

Even with bodies all over her, Bostic was able to score her layups, racking up six points after the first quarter. Fifth-year guard Jada Peebles sank the first three-pointer for the team, increasing the lead for the Illini. After the first 10 minutes, Illinois held CCSU to only five points, leading by 17.

McKenzie was stellar the first half, having 13 points in the first 15 minutes. She sank a jump shot, and immediately after got a steal to score a three-point shot, making Illinois’ bench go wild. She was also one to be very vocal and enthusiastic on the court and on the sidelines.

“I really saw a shift in her confidence,” Bostic noted about McKenzie. “Just her being in here all the time, and being willing to change her game, and I really think this year she’s kind of fine-tuning those things and I really think she’s done and made a conscious effort to kind of expand her game a little bit … I’m really proud of her just being able and being willing to expand her game, because I know it’s hard at this level.”

The first half ended with a buzzer-beater three-point shot by Bryant, with Illinois leading 40-23. Bostic and McKenzie were the leading scorers, both in double digits with rebounds and steals under their names as well.

The third quarter began with a smooth three-pointer by Cook. The Blue Devils responded with another three-pointer as well, but that did not slow down the Illini’s game. Given Bostic’s height, she got fouled quite a few times but used these to her advantage, making all four of her attempts.

McKenzie continued to show up and show out in the second half of the matchup. She scored another three-point shot to get to a total of 16 points, with her and Bostic scoring a combined 33 points at this point. McKenzie made the crowd erupt in cheers with a backwards layup after regaining possession.

Freshman guard Gretchen Dolan scored her first points of the evening with a minute remaining in the third quarter. Illinois had their biggest lead at 28 points going into the final quarter.

Peebles continued her talents from behind the arc with another three-pointer. The Illini stayed strong on the court, going on an 8-0 run with 6:55 remaining in the game.

With five minutes left in the fourth quarter, there was a full bench unit on the court, with appearances by Dolan, sophomore guard Kam’Ren Rhodes, freshman guard Cori Allen, sophomore forward Shay Bollin and fifth-year center Camille Hobby. Their teammates were loud and proud, dancing and cheering in celebration as they increased their lead to 41 points.

“To see them have success is what I want,” Green described. “It’s built on relationships and it’s built on, you know, really trusting one another. I want to win, but I want them to win. I get my joy watching them have joy and them have success. To see them when they’re playing at that level, that’s what this is about.”

Illinois closed out the competition with the singing of the alma mater as always, leaving with smiles and positive attitudes looking to their next matchup against Northern Kentucky on Dec. 6.

@tess_eken