Illinois women’s basketball comes out stellar in 28-point victory over Rutgers

The Daily Illini Photo File
Senior Kendall Bostic uses her strength to find a pass at the start of the third quarter against Morehead State on Nov. 7. Bostic ended the night with 15 points and 13 rebounds.

The Illini (8-8, 2-4) returned to Champaign to face off against the Scarlet Knights following their win this past Sunday against the Wildcats. Two 90-point games back-to-back against conference matchups is a huge boost for the Illini, and having six players score in double figures made a massive impact on the floor.

Recent news revealed that fifth-year guard Jada Peebles suffered a season-ending injury in the game against Northwestern after tearing her Achilles tendon. Peebles has been with the Illini for the past five years, and her coaches and teammates have shown nothing but admiration and pride for her.

For the third game in a row, fifth-year center Camille Hobby made her way to the starting five lineup. Hobby finished with 19 points last game, proving her starting spot is valuable to the team. Along with her were senior guard Genesis Bryant, senior guard Makira Cook, junior guard Adalia McKenzie and senior forward Kendall Bostic.

The Illini quickly took possession of the ball after the tipoff, with Hobby scoring a jump-shot to get the game going. Soon after, Bostic scored a jump shot of her own, demonstrating a strong start for the team.

Rutgers took its first timeout just two minutes into the game after Cook scored a field goal to start the game off 6-0 for Illinois. After the timeout, Cook sank another shot, and then one more by Hobby to give a 10-0 run for the team.

McKenzie scored her first points of the game as well, and the Illini made their first substitution with freshman guard Gretchan Dolan. Then, Bryant sank a three-pointer, making the lead 15-2. The Illini needed this strong start to get an energy boost for the rest of the game.

Dolan put up a jump shot as well, demonstrating that every player’s contribution to the game was helpful. Through its efforts, Illinois was able to hold Rutgers to just five points in the first quarter, leading 23-5.

“Playing with a lead is a lot better than having to dig yourself out of a hole,” noted head coach Shauna Green. “That was huge. To come out and hold someone to five points, I don’t care what level you’re at, that shows that your defense is really clicking.”

The second quarter proved to be a better run for Rutgers, already having scored 10 points in the first three minutes of the quarter. Shots were continuing to fall for Rutgers as Illinois slightly eased up on defense, closing the gap to make the lead just seven points.

Despite the good first quarter, the second quarter did not end up the same way for the Illini. The Scarlet Knights outscored the Illini 29-22, but the team maintained the lead, up 45-34 and shooting 61% from the field. Bryant was the leading scorer at this point with 12 points, one rebound and three assists.

The second half began with Hobby making a three-point play after getting fouled on a layup. A couple minutes later, the same thing happened with McKenzie, and the lead was back up to 15 for Illinois.

The arena went crazy with a three-pointer from Bostic, who then had 11 points and five rebounds. Dolan got the lead back up to 20 with a jump shot, and the Illini were able to take more comfort in the point differential.

“We’re moving the ball really well, and we’re taking a great shot instead of a good shot,” Dolan described. “I think that’s why the last two games have been clicking.”

Working in sync with one another was truly the deciding factor for this game. It was a whole team effort, with effective moves from each and every single player.

Illinois entered the final quarter leading 67-54. Another three-point play came from Illinois, this time from Bryant after getting fouled on a jump-shot. She brought the lead back up to 20 after making two free throws from an additional foul, and the Illini were still hustling, showing that they truly wanted this win.

The team was filled with joy the rest of the fourth quarter. Illinois outscored Rutgers 29-14 in the final 10 minutes, concluding the matchup with a score of 96-68.

Illinois travels to Maryland for its next game this Saturday, hoping to keep the win streak alive.

@tess_eken