Illinois women’s basketball comes up short on road against Maryland

Olivia McAfoos
Senior guard Genesis Bryant runs along the baseline against Truman State on Oct. 30.

The Illini (8-9, 2-5) went into Xfinity Center College Park on Saturday with the momentum of a two-game win streak but were unable to continue their victory stretch. All 40 minutes were competitive and intense, but Illinois was unable to finally get its first win over Maryland (0-15 all-time).

Head coach Shauna Green stuck with the same lineup this time around after another strong performance from fifth-year center Camille Hobby. The remaining four stayed the same, including senior guard Genesis Bryant, senior guard Makira Cook, junior guard Adalia McKenzie and senior forward Kendall Bostic.

The game began with Illinois’ possession, and after a few offensive boards, Hobby scored the first points of the game. Maryland scored their first points of the game shortly after before it went back to Hobby for another field goal.

McKenzie began to heat up with back-to-back shots and Illinois held a four-point lead for a short period. Similarly, Maryland felt confident and its shots continued to fall, taking the lead this time around.

The Terrapins moved the ball around well, which aided them in increasing their lead. The Illini worked on this as well, getting the ball to Bostic for two additional jump shots. Additionally, freshman guard Gretchen Dolan saw minutes early in the game, using her defensive skills to guard the Terrapins and record a steal.

With a minute remaining, the game was tied at 18-18 — so far proving to be an even matchup between the teams. The quarter ended with a shot by the Terrapins to bring their lead to two points, but the game was far from over.

The second quarter demonstrated to be another even matchup, but Maryland got the upper hand for the most part. Dolan sank a three-pointer buzzer-beater to finish off the half, with Maryland up 38-36. Maryland shot 50% from the field in the second quarter, while Illinois was not as efficient, shooting 40%, but was still able to stay in the game.

After the half, the Terrapins went on a 9-2 scoring run. They made big plays and finished their shots, with their largest lead at 49-40 with six minutes remaining in the third quarter.

Despite the game looking like it was going in favor of Maryland, Illinois never backed down. Bryant nailed a three-pointer to decrease the lead to two, slowly but surely climbing their way back up.

Illinois slowed down its last possession of the quarter and concluded with a three-pointer from Bostic — something she’s grown more comfortable with in recent games. Maryland was up 60-57 going into the final 10 minutes of the competition. At this point, it was anybody’s game.

Each time it seemed as though the Terrapins were pulling away, the Illini made strong plays to catch up. With eight minutes to go, the Illini tied it up at 65 and the bench went crazy, cheering in excitement and pride.

After some turnovers and extra fire from the Terrapins, they took an 11-point lead with three minutes remaining. Despite efforts from the Illini, they were unable to get another lead since the first quarter and finished out the game defeated by a 90-82 scoreline.

Bryant was the leading scorer with 19 points, five assists and four rebounds. Illinois shot 100% from the free-throw line and 49% from the field.

The team returns to Champaign on Thursday to face off against the No. 18 Ohio State Buckeyes.

@tess_eken