Illinois women’s basketball falls short in nail-biter matchup against No. 12 Ohio State

Angel Saldivar
Senior forward Kendall Bostic takes a shot for two during the fourth quarter against Ohio State on Thursday.

Thursday night’s game was another occurrence in which the Illini (8-10, 2-6) could not finish on top despite playing hard on both ends of the floor. Illinois led as big as 11 points before the half and out-rebounded No. 12 Ohio State 42-34, but it was not enough to conquer one of the nation’s top squads.

The starting lineup included senior guard Genesis Bryant, senior guard Makira Cook, junior guard Adalia McKenzie, fifth-year center Camille Hobby and senior forward Kendall Bostic. This starting lineup is now 3-3 on the season, with Bryant, Cook and Bostic scoring in double figures this evening.

Ohio State got the first possession but quickly turned the ball over. After a few scoreless possessions on both sides, Ohio State started the scoring with a three-pointer. Illinois’ shots did not go in its favor early, starting 0-4 from the field.

McKenzie got Illinois on the board after sinking a pair of free throws. Ohio State came out strong with a full-court press, and Cook was able to sink a shot of her own, but that soon got overshadowed by another three-pointer from the opponents. At the five-minute mark, Ohio State led 12-6 and did not back down on its defense.

Illinois held its own for a while, but Ohio State moved the ball with ease, making elite passes in the paint to increase its lead. As for Illinois’ action in the paint, Bostic accumulated eight rebounds in the first 10 minutes. The quarter ended with Ohio State leading 18-13, and 14 of its points came from just two players.

A steal from freshman guard Gretchen Dolan and a three-pointer by Bryant ignited the home crowd, with the score tied at 20 with five minutes to go in the half. The Illini got their first lead after another shot from Bryant (22-20) and began to look a little more comfortable on the floor.

The State Farm Center erupted with cheers after Cook sank a shot from behind the arc to increase Illinois’ lead to seven. Bostic sank a jump shot to make it a 14-0 run for the Illini. Then, with a floater from Cook, the team reached their largest lead at nine points. Fans were on their feet by the end of the first half after the Illini forced the Buckeyes to run the clock out, finishing with an 11-point lead (33-22). The Illini held the Buckeyes to a mere four points in the second quarter, going 50% from the field, eager for more.

“We prepped really hard all week for this game,” Bostic said. “There were a lot of little things that were kind of inserted into the scout, and I think that was just the best execution of a scout I think we’ve had. Our second quarters are usually pretty good, so we always get that feel out of the game in the first, and in the second, we were really feeling it. Everybody was everywhere, and I think everybody was jelling really well.”

Ohio State kicked off the second half with a three-pointer and jump shot, with its defense getting even more aggressive than before. The Buckeyes also used the full-court press to their advantage, forcing a few turnovers. A three-pointer from Bryant got the momentum going, but the game was far from over.

The Buckeyes cut the lead to one point (39-38), with growing frustration from head coach Shauna Green as the Buckeyes outscored the Illini 16-6 just five minutes into the third quarter. These 10 minutes were marked by turnovers and various fouls called for both teams. 45-42 was the Illini lead after three quarters, and it was truly anybody’s game at this point.

Each time Illinois scored, Ohio State responded, and the game was tied up at 49 with eight minutes remaining. Ohio State then re-obtained the lead with six minutes to go, 51-49.

The game began to slip out of the Illini’s hands after the Buckeyes took the lead. Shots continued to fall for them while the Illini struggled to keep up with the pace, ultimately leading to their defeat. The game concluded with a score of 67-59, with Illinois’ next matchup on Sunday against Minnesota.

“We showed we can play anyone in the country,” Green said. “We got to be able to get over that hump and put 40 minutes together, instead of 30-something, and you got to do that to beat a top-15 team. I hate to lose more than anything in the world, but I’m proud of a lot of things we did and how we competed.”

@tess_eken