Illinois women’s basketball travels to Purdue, looks to earn third win in a row

Lucas Sun
Senior Forward Kendall Bostic lifts Junior Guard Adalia McKenzie following a play on Jan. 28.

The Illini (10-10) are traveling slightly south after picking up a 77-64 win at the Crisler Center against the Michigan Wolverines last Wednesday. Looking ahead, the Purdue Boilermakers (9-12) are the next challenge.

Head coach Shauna Green raved about the recent improvement of her team both on and off the court as of late, despite originally starting conference play 0-4 — now 4-6.

“If you can start feeling that rhythm and coming together in February then we’ll take it,” Green said. “I think we’ve learned so much this year and been through so many tough times and challenging times that it’s really brought us closer together and learned a lot of valuable lessons.”

Illinois received an all-around effort in their last time out including four players in double figures. Senior guard Makira Cook finished with 20, junior guard Adalia McKenzie had 16, fifth-year center Camille Hobby had 16 and senior forward Kendall Bostic had 12 points. Senior guard Genesis Bryant — who was fighting foul trouble — and freshman guard Gretchen Dolan rounded out the big minute-getters for the Illini, but each shot 2-7 from the field to finish with just seven and six points respectively.

The biggest storylines for the Illini going forward are the statistical resurgence of Cook and the continued development and consistency of McKenzie. For Cook, two of her three 20-point outings on the season have come in the last week and she is yet to shoot below 50% in one either. The Cincinnati native has also averaged five assists, just over three rebounds and shot 42.1% from downtown over her last five games.

McKenzie had one of her best games of the season last time out as well. She finished with eight rebounds, three assists and four steals to go along with the aforementioned 16 points. The junior guard is one of few when it comes to falling under the nonshooting wing archetype but continues to find ways to be effective after low-scoring outings, two points and seven points, in their last couple of games.

McKenzie attempted her first three-pointer since Dec. 10 — the last game against Michigan — and though it didn’t drop, it did help the Illini play inside out as everyone had to be respected as a shooter.

“When you got players that just make plays like that, it’s hard to guard us,” Green said. “She’s (McKenzie) playing at a really high level right now … We’re playing really good basketball. If there’s a time to play really good basketball, I’ll take it heading into February.”

Purdue rides the rails into this one on a current seven-game losing streak. The antithesis of the Illinois team it’s facing, a team stoking its fire at the right time and picking up four of its last six. As a team, the stats don’t really jump off the page for the Boilermakers, but their senior trio of guards Abbey Ellis and Madison Layden and forward Caitlyn Harper all average double digits in the box score. Purdue also ranks dead last in the Big Ten in rebounds per game — at 28.7 — which is an area where Green and Illinois could look to take advantage.

Purdue’s Layden and Bostic are both natives of Kokomo, Indiana, and played together in high school at Kokomo Northwestern. Layden and the Boilermakers have won their last three meetings with Bostic, adding an extra drive to come out on top this time around.

The Illini take on the Purdue Boilermakers at Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana, on Monday night. Tune in to Big Ten Network for the 7 p.m. tipoff.

@spitzanity