Notes, player grades from Illinois women’s basketball second loss against Maryland

Junior+guard+Adalia+McKenzie+dribbles+and+defenses+against+Maryland+yesterday.+
Jacoby Banks-Hull
Junior guard Adalia McKenzie dribbles and defenses against Maryland yesterday.

Numerous struggles came from Illinois’ offensive end, ultimately leading to its defeat against Maryland. Getting clean looks was not enough for the team, as they only made 21 out of the 66 shots they took. This was the Illini’s eighth loss this season, and they have another challenging matchup on the road against the 16-8 Nittany Lions up next.

Turnovers cost them the game

There were a few instances where the Illini turned the ball over on inbound passes in very critical moments. At one point, they were only down by one, but turning the ball over resulted in the Terrapins scoring helped them further their lead, with the Illini unable to catch up. Sloppy plays resulted in extra points for Maryland, and once they got things going, they did not let up.

Illinois’ starting five players are indicated with *.

*Makira Cook (F)

Out of 10 field goals taken, Cook only made one of them, managing to get four points the whole game. She turned the ball over four times but also had four steals. Cook had an off night, to say the least. In a game like the one on Sunday night, it was necessary for her to perform well, but her lack of scoring definitely played a role in the loss.

*Camille Hobby (A-)

Hobby was the leading scorer with 16 points on Sunday. She also had 11 rebounds and a steal but missed eight of the 14 shots she took. Her free-throw game has improved tremendously, as she made all four of the free-throw attempts. For someone who gets fouled as much as she does, this element is very crucial to her game. Seeing her calmness and skill executed at the line was a very comforting sight for Illini fans.

*Kendall Bostic (C-)

Sunday night was not a strong game for Bostic. She only scored two points and had eight rebounds, three assists and a steal. Head coach Shauna Green noted that she had been sick the past couple of days, so her energy may have been lacking for personal reasons.

*Adalia McKenzie (B+)

McKenzie played well on Sunday night, having 10 points, two rebounds, one assist and two steals. She also turned the ball over four times, but her energy on the court and internal drive made up for her errors. She got in foul trouble rather early but still aided the team significantly.

*Genesis Bryant (B)

Bryant scored 13 points, three rebounds, one assist and one steal in the 27 minutes she played on Sunday. She performed well but missed 12 of the 17 shots she took, so it was not the most efficient night for her. She was the second-leading scorer for the Illini, so her efforts were needed but not perfect.

Gretchen Dolan (C)

Dolan left the game with six points, one rebound, one assist and a block. She played another longer game since Bryant got in foul trouble early, and she’s become a much more reliable sixth man these past few weeks. She still has some trouble finishing her shots, but her confidence on the court is showing more and more.

Shay Bollin (C+)

Bollin had two points, three rebounds and a steal on Sunday. The shot she made got the sideline excited, as she got a rebound and fought to get the ball in the hoop. Bollin was always hustling on the court, sprinting from one end to another to adjust for the next play.

Cori Allen (N/A)

Allen played about three minutes on Sunday and left with one assist to her name.

Brynn Shoup-Hill (N/A)

Shoup-Hill only played two and a half minutes and recorded no counting stats.