Illinois softball anticipates start of 2024 season

Angel Saldivar
The Illini group together before facing up against the Buckeyes on Apr. 15.

Some people search for blooming flowers and birds chirping to discover if spring is around the corner, but in Champaign, it’s a lot simpler than that. When you hear the sweet sound of balls hitting bats and smacking gloves at Eichelberger Field, the Illinois faithful can spread the word: It’s spring sports season.

Illinois softball will soon return for its 24th season and head coach Tyra Perry’s ninth at the helm. The Illini have qualified for the NCAA tournament four out of seven times under Perry — no tournament in 2020 — and look to return to the national stage after a disappointing 2023. A 16-7 start looked promising heading into the Braggin’ Rights series against Missouri, but Illinois struggled to piece wins together from then on, finishing 29-27 and 12th in the Big Ten.

With last season in the rearview mirror, the Illini slide into 2024 with some new faces after 11 players left or graduated. There were some key departures going into this season, with the Illini offense losing 42% of their at-bats, 42% of their hits, 32% of their home runs and 37% of their RBI. The pitching staff took an even more significant hit, losing 59% of innings pitched and 64% of strikeouts. It’s a lot to make up, but senior captain Megan Ward likes the roster.

“We graduated a lot last year, so we’re going to have a lot of openings,” she said. “Our team works so hard … I think we’re capable of a lot of great things, and I think we can compete for a Big Ten championship.”

The Illini added five freshmen and two transfers for the upcoming season, who got a chance to prove themselves in the fall. With eight scrimmages and the Orange and Blue series, everyone received plenty of opportunities throughout the slate, and three stood out.

Freshman pitcher Mallory Sluder performed well in the scrimmages, getting some early collegiate action. Another freshman, infielder Eileen Donahue, showcased a loud bat, especially in the Orange and Blue Series. Finally, graduate student Serena Starks capped off the solid first impressions for the Illini as the Princeton transfer displayed why she won the 2023 Ivy League Player of the Year.

While the Illini lost a lot of production, some firepower is still returning, starting with their 2023 statistical leader in practically every offensive category. Senior outfielder Kelly Ryono led the Illini in batting average, OPS, runs, hits, home runs, RBI, slugging, walks and stolen bases. She has hit .320 or higher in consecutive seasons and will likely lead the way once again.

Ryono isn’t alone, with Ward joining her as another productive veteran back in the lineup. Ward regressed statistically in 2023 but believes she can return to her previous form offensively. To solidify herself as one of the best hitters on the team, the senior has been focused on her mechanics.

“Making sure I’m aware of my body positions and body control,” Ward said. “That way I can be able to hit all different types of pitches.”

Ward is also a defensive factor, manning the captain position in the infield. Coach Perry gave her shortstop skills to work on this offseason, showing improvement in the fall. Ward put on a defensive gem in game one of the Orange and Blue series, charging multiple short hops and getting to balls relatively easily.

“I’m really trying to increase my range,” Ward said. “The more balls you can cover, the better. So working on getting to more balls up the middle and the 5-6 hole.”

While performing well is always important, this is Ward’s final season, and she wants to cherish every moment. She is excited to travel to multiple Big Ten cities she hasn’t played in before, including her home state when the Illini face the Ohio State Buckeyes.

“A lot of my friends and family are planning on coming there,” she said. “I really do love traveling. Something that I’m really going to try and do this year is be present and just really enjoy all of the little moments and traveling experiences with my teammates because you only get four years, and it goes by very fast.”

Two of Ward’s teammates, sophomore first basemen Sydney Malott and junior left fielder Stevie Meade, are the other quality bats returning from last year, each looking to take on a more prominent role. The duo showed flashes, finishing as two of the better hitters on the roster, but the Illini will need them to leap to attain their goals, which they are plenty capable of.

The Illini will also look to the pitching staff to step up this season, as no one on the current roster pitched more than 79 innings last year. While Sluder, sophomore Juliana Hooker and junior Briana Bower were talented entering college, they only have 13 combined career appearances in the circle. That will change, but junior Lauren Wiles and senior Tori McQueen will be leaned upon plenty. McQueen was the team’s ERA leader last season, posting a 3.11 with a 1.15 WHIP.

The season officially begins on Feb. 19 in Auburn, Alabama, as the Illini hit their usual nonconference tournaments to begin the year. The perilous Illinois winter may not fully be over on March 13, but Wednesday’s Braggin’ Rights doubleheader marks the home opener for the Illini in 2024. The Illini hope to enter that series in a similar position as last year but hit the conference schedule sprinting in their pursuit of another NCAA tournament berth.

“We didn’t make it in the postseason last year, and that was not a great feeling,” Ward said. “I think our attitude, effort and emotions at practices this year has aligned with where we need to be in order to make it.”

@benfader7